This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2019)
|Developer(s)||Anthropics Technology Ltd|
|Initial release||July 2006|
18.4.0 / April 15, 2018
|Operating system||Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Raster graphics editor|
Portrait Professional or PortraitPro is a Windows and Mac based portrait imaging enhancement software targeted at professional and keen amateur photographers. Developed by Anthropics Technology Ltd and first released in July 2006, it has been in continuous development ever since.
The current software, version 18, was released in October 2018, the previous version, 17, was released in October 2017.
PortraitPro, PortraitPro Studio, and PortraitPro Studio Max are image editors for Windows and Mac OS X, specifically targeted at editing portrait photographs.
Rather than using brushes alone as a traditional image editor does, PortraitPro "instantly detects faces in each image opened" and applies automatic retouching. Further transformations are done through sliders or brushes. One of the unique, but controversial abilities is automatically reshaping the face to fit a model of beauty.
The Studio editions do the above and additionally handle raw files, 16 bit per color component TIFF files and color profiles. It is also available as a Photoshop plugin. The Studio Max edition offers automatic batch processing in which multiple images are retouching automatically by the software.
Below is a list of the features currently available in the latest version of PortraitPro, version 18: 
- Automatically detect faces in an image 
- Reshape all or any aspect of the face
- Corrects skin blemishes such as spots or pimples 
- Smooth out and neaten hair
- Thicken and re-color hair.
- Reduce and/or remove wrinkles
- Remove grease, sweat or shine highlights from the skin
- Adjust the lighting on the face
- Add realistic looking makeup
- Remove red eye
- Recolor eyes
- Whiten teeth and eyes 
- Sharpen individual features like eyes, eyebrows, nose and mouth
- Change backgrounds
- Add overlays, watermarks or logos
PortraitPro is available in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese. Older versions are also available in Swedish, Arabic, Chinese, Korean and Japanese.
The cultural impact of airbrushing software being readily available to anyone is a proliferation of airbrushed images being used on social media profiles and online dating sites.
Portrait Professional was originally known as My Perfect Picture. Portrait Professional started at version 4. It required a web server to process the image. Version 5 did so as well. Version 6 was the first version to run without needing a connection to a web server.
Version 8 improved face sculpting and slimming, user interface, color calibration and raw support in the Studio version.
Version 9 was the first version to offer ClearSkin skin improving technology and also to work as a standalone and as a Photoshop plugin. Other improvements included the ability to handle profile views, a batch mode, and an intelligent touch up brush. In response to customer requests, version 10 had improved plugin support for Photoshop, Lightroom and Aperture, a new child mode, and an enhance skin only mode. Major improvements in version 11 (November 2012) included its automated face and feature finder, an improved handling of multiple faces within one session, and improved face contouring and slimming.
Version 12, released in March 2014, was rebranded PortraitPro. Major improvements included the ability to change the lighting on the face, improved feature enhancing, and in the Studio Max edition only, an automatic batch mode with the ability to automatically determine age and gender of each face.
Versions 13 and 14 were skipped; the next version sold was 15 in line with the year of release. Later versions have all been named for their release year.
Version 17 was launched in October 2017 and was the first version to include background removal in replacement. It also included a snapshots option for temporarily saving edits to return to later. 
Presets. Known as Saved Sliders or Presets depending on version, these are pre-loaded slider settings that have been determined to work best for a particular subject, for example to make a young woman look glamorous.
Touch Up/ Restore Brush. The former paints over spots or blemishes in the skin that have not been eliminated automatically; the latter restores them. Adjust the size and strength of the brush with the sliders beside it.
Batch Mode. Developed to particularly appeal to those photographers who retouch a high volume of photos.
Face Sculpt Controls subtly reshape the face to beautify facial features.
Skin Smoothing Controls improve the appearance of the skin. Also provides tools to refine the areas that Portrait Professional treats as skin.
Eye Controls improve the appearance of the eyes. Also provides an option to enable red-eye removal.
Mouth and Nose Controls improve the appearance of the mouth and nose.
Skin Coloring Controls alter the color of the skin.
Skin Lighting Controls enhance the lighting on the skin.
Makeup Controls add and enhance makeup in a portrait. Adjust eyeliner, eyshadow, lipstick, blusher, mascara. Added in version 15 of the software. 
Hair Controls improve the appearance of the hair. Also provides tools to let you refine the areas that Portrait Professional treats as hair.
Picture Controls are for various aspects of the whole image, such as brightness and contrast. Also provide a cropping tool.
Layers allows the user to remove or replace the background and to add overlays. 
- BBC News: From mortal to model, visited January 3, 2007.
- Kelby Insider: REVIEW: PortraitPro 17 Studio Max, visited February 12, 2019.
- Boing Boing:Creepy automated photo retouching software, visited January 10, 2007.
- New York Times: Looking Perfect, One Pixel at a Time, visited January 03, 2007.
- New Scientist: Beauty and the digital beast, visited January 10, 2007.
- Ltd., Anthropics Technology. "PortraitPro - Easy Photo Editing Software". www.portraitprofessional.com. Retrieved 2016-06-22.
- Portrait Professional Support, visited 2 July 2014]
- "Putting Your Best Face Forward: The Accuracy of Online Dating Photographs - Journal of Communication ISSN 0021-9916" (PDF). visited July 2, 2014
- Facebook Photos Airbrush away the age ABC News, visited July 2, 2014
- Market Watch 10 things dating sites won't tell you, visited July 2, 2014
- My Perfect Picture, visited 2 July 2014
- "Does your software use a server? - Portrait Professional Support". Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "New in Version 8". Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "v9 New Photo Editing Software". Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "v10 New Photo Editing Software". Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "v11 New Photo Editing Software". Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "v12 New Photo Editing Software". Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "v15 New Photo Editing Software". Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "v17 New Photo Editing Software". Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "PortraitPro Body Pressroom". Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "v18 New Photo Editing Software". Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "PortraitPro Body Pressroom". Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "v19 New Photo Editing Software". Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- Manual for Windows version 11, Anthropics.
- "New in Version 15". Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- Manual for Windows version 18, Anthropics.