Portrait of Lady (poem)
"Portrait of a Lady" is an award winning poem by the renowned Indian English poet and art critic Ranjit Hoskote. The poem won First Prize in the Seventh All India Poetry Competition conducted by The Poetry Society (India) in 1995. The poem brought the second major literary award for Hoskote, who also won the Sanskriti Award for Literature in 1996 and the Sahitya Akademi Golden Jubilee Award for life time achievement in 2005.
Excerpts from the poem
- Objects are lesson: from bowls, hairpins, brooches,
- you learn of forgotten lives. The stories say
- my grandmother was a fever tree:
- two birds sat on her branches, one pecking
- at a grape, the other singing an aria.
- What history’s bookkeepers do not show
- is the tremor down the spine she felt,
- the tendril of blood that coiled in her nose
- when the whistle of a train announced
- her husband’s return from a tour of duty.
- In the stories, she’s an actor, a pilgrim:
- shadow-boxing with a thunderstorm,
- she slips through brick walls,
- treads a theatre of scrubbed floors
- and ember beds. She leaves me
- a loaf of shortbread in the oven,
- a page of couplets in a script I cannot read
- and wrapped in a peel of green appleskin,
- a tea cup glazed with a Dutch windmill,
- the last one of the set.
- The urchin-cut waif in the vignette above
- is the child she was. Voyeur, clairvoyant,
- she stares in at windows, her head a gourd
- hollowed by the age she never reached
- in life, her hair a silver floss.
- Objects are lessons: the light seeps
- through the slats, sets off a shimmer
- on her lace. She’s crocheted the evening
- and its creatures: the silken thread
- that she pulls from her pattern
- knots tight around my neck.
Comments and criticism
The poem has received rave reviews since its first publication in 1997 in the book Emerging Voices and has since been widely anthologised. The poem has been frequently quoted in scholarly analysis of contemporary Indian English Poetry.
- Seventh National Poetry Competition 1997 - Award Winners
- Hoskote - A Profile by A J Thomas
- India Writes - Contemporary Indian Poetry
- Ranjit Hoskote Poems
- Biography of Hoskote
- Indian English Poetry
- The Poetry Society (India)
- "Popular Indian Poems"
- "Award Winning Poems - AIPC 1997".
- Poetry India - Emerging Voices by H K Kaul, Virgo Publications, 1997
- Contemporary Indian Poets by Jeet Thayil, Fulcrum, Bloodaxe Books, 1996
- "Fourteen Contemporary Indian Poets – Rana Nayar in The Tribune".