Portsmouth West High School
|Portsmouth West High School|
Home of the Senators
15332 US Rte 52 WWest Portsmouth, Ohio
|Type||public, rural, high school|
|School district||Washington-Nile Local School District|
Tony Bazler, PrincipalChristopher Rapp, Assistant Principal & Athletic Director
|Head of school||Jeff Stricklett, Superintendent|
|Number of students||600|
|Color(s)||Black and Orange|
|Athletics||baseball, boys' and girls' basketball, boys' and girls' cross country, boys' golf, football, marching band, boys' soccer, boys' and girls' track, fast pitch softball, boys' tennis, and girls' volleyball |
|Athletics conference||Southern Ohio Conference|
|Mascot||Senators aka Siders|
Portsmouth West High School (PWHS) is a public high school in West Portsmouth, Ohio in Scioto County in Southern Ohio. It is the only high school in the Washington-Nile Local School District. The official mascot is the Senators (adopted when the school's official name was Washington High School) and the school colors are black and orange.
Courses at Portsmouth West High School are:
Math: Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Statistics (dual-credit), College Alg/Trig (dual-credit), Pre Calculus, AP Calculus, Applied Math
English: English I, English I CP, English II, English II CP, English III, English III CP, English IV, English IV CP, AP English IV
History: World History, AP World History, American History, AP U.S. History, Government, AP Government
Science: Physical Science, Biology, Advanced Biology, Chemistry, Zoology, Physics (dual-credit), AP Chemistry, Environmental Science
Music: Music Appreciation, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, Piano/Music Theory (dual-credit)
Vocal Music: Chorus, Chamber Choir
Instrumental Music: Marching Band and Concert Band
Art: Art I, Advanced Art, Oil Painting
Home Economics: Financial Management, Healthy Lifestyles, Food Prep
Spanish: Spanish I, Spanish II, Spanish III
Technology: Computer Applications I, Computer Applications II, Computer Applications III, Media Publications
Health: Physical Education, Health
The Portsmouth West High School has a marching band, "The Sensational Senators," who play at football games, local parades, and compete at contests. PWHS hosts an annual OMEA adjudicated event called the "Southern Ohio Marching Band Classic" or the "West Contest." The band's current director is Ryan Ervin.
OMEA State Qualifications under Pierce.
- 2011 - Theme: Cirque Du Soleil: Quidam; Location: Green High School and Ironton High School
- 2012 - Theme: The Magical Mystery Tour: The Beatles; Location: The Ohio State University (The Buckeye Invitational), Green High School, and Ironton High School.
- 2013 - Theme: The World (What A Wonderful World); Location: *Southern Ohio Marching Band Classic (Home Contest), Dawson-Bryant High School (Coal Grove, OH), The Ohio State University (The Buckeye Invitational), and Ironton High School.**
OMEA State Qualifications under Ervin.
- 2015 - Theme: The Final Bell; Location: Ironton High School, Saturday, October 24, 2015.
- 2016 - Theme: Through Brass Goggles; Location: Ironton High School, Saturday, October 22, 2016.
- 2017 - Theme: Paradise Reclaimed; Location: Portsmouth West High School.
OMEA State Superior Ratings under Pierce.
- 2013 - Theme: The World (What A Wonderful World); Location: University of Dayton, November 10, 2013
OMEA State Superior Ratings under Ervin.
- 2016 - Theme: Through Brass Goggles; Location: University of Dayton, November 6, 2016
- *First time achievement in schools band history.
- **First time ever in schools band history for qualifying at all competitions.
Portsmouth West High School offers several options to students who wish to participate in a choral ensemble. Students have the choice of General Choir and Chamber Choir in signing up for classes. For an extra-curricular activity for the students to show their devotion to the program, they may audition for select groups such as Advanced Choir, SMOW (Men's Ensemble), and Prima (Women's Ensemble). SMOW (The Singing Men Of West) is known for their National Anthem, arranged by Scott Ewing (a class of 2008 graduate), that they perform at the Senators' home basketball games, as well as different events in the local area and state. If you are a member of either SMOW or Prima, it is standard for you to also be a part of the Advanced Choir. The Advanced Choir group regularly performs, by invitation, for local churches and for other community events. Each spring, the Vocal Music Department presents a full-scale musical theater production, considered by many to be among the best high school productions in the region. The Vocal Music Department is under the direction of Linda Tieman.
There are ten school districts and eleven high schools in Scioto County along with one parochial school as well several private and community schools. The school's athletic affiliation is with the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) and the Southern Ohio Conference (SOC), which has sixteen member schools and is divided into two divisions (SOC I & SOC II) based on the schools' enrollment. The SOC includes teams from four different Ohio counties - Jackson County (Oak Hill High School), Lawrence County (Symmes Valley High School), Pike County (Waverly High School, Eastern High School, and Western High School), and Scioto County (Clay High School, Green High School, Glenwood High School, Sciotoville Community School, Valley High School, Northwest High School, Minford High School, Portsmouth West High School, Notre Dame High School, South Webster High School, and Wheelersburg High School).
See also Ohio High School Athletic Conferences and the Southern Ohio Conference
Ohio High School Athletic Association Championships and Appearances
- Qualified for State Playoffs
- Qualified for State Playoffs
- Girls' Softball
- OHSAA State Runner-up
- OHSAA Final Four Appearances (Other than Second Place Finishes)
- 1986 - (lost to Newark Licking Valley 11-1)
- 1989 - (lost to Springfield Northwestern 8-4)
- 1998 - (lost to Keystone LaGrange 2-1)
- 1999 - (lost to Keystone LaGrange 1-0)
- 2000 - (lost to Lima Bath 3-2)
- 2001 - (lost to Keystone LaGrange 3-0)
- 2002 - (lost to Springfield Kenton Ridge 4-0)
- 2003 - (lost to Convoy Crestview 5-0)
- OHSAA. "OHSAA Member School Info". Retrieved 2007-06-20.[permanent dead link] Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Members Schools" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Ohio Department of Development. "Ohio County Profiles: Scioto County" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-05-08. Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- Southern Ohio Conference (January 2007). "Southern Ohio Conference Constitution and By-laws".
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-06-20.
- OHSAA. "OHSAA 30th Annual State Fast Pitch Softball Tournament Program". p. 39. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "OHSAA Softball" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).