Liga Portuguesa de Futebol Profissional
|Number of teams||42|
|Level on pyramid||1–2|
|Relegation to||Campeonato Nacional|
|Domestic cup(s)||Taça da Liga|
(2017-18 Primeira Liga, 28th title)
(2017–18 Taça da Liga, 1st title)
(2017–18 LigaPro, 1st title)
|TV partners||Sport TV & Benfica TV|
| 2018–19 Primeira Liga|
2018–19 Taça da Liga
The Liga Portuguesa de Futebol Profissional (Portuguese Professional Football League), also known by its acronym LPFP, or Liga Portugal, is a governing body that manages professional football club competitions in Portugal. It was founded in 1978 as Liga Portuguesa dos Clubes de Futebol Profissional and works as an autonomous organism under the authority of the Portuguese Football Federation. In 1991 it changed its name to the current one. As of 28 July 2015, its president is former Portuguese international referee Pedro Proença.
The LPFP is responsible for the organisation and supervision of the top two leagues – the Primeira Liga and the Segunda Liga – and of the Taça da Liga, a knockout cup competition limited to the clubs competing in the professional leagues (except reserve or B teams).
List of presidents
Presidents of LPCFP (1978–1991)
- João Aranha (1978–1980)
- Lito Gomes de Almeida (1980–1989)
- Valentim Loureiro (1989–1991)
Presidents of LPFP (1991–present)
- Valentim Loureiro (1991–1994)
- Manuel Damásio interim (1994–1995)
- Pinto da Costa (1995–1996)
- Valentim Loureiro (1996–2006)
- Hermínio Loureiro (2006–2010)
- Fernando Gomes (2010–2011)
- Mário Figueiredo (2012–2015)
- Luís Duque (2014–2015)
- Pedro Proença (2015–present)
- "Pedro Proença é o novo presidente da Liga de Clubes" [Pedro Proença is the new president of the League of Clubs]. Rádio Renascença (in Portuguese). 28 July 2015. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "A Liga" [The League]. LPFP (in Portuguese). Retrieved 25 November 2012.
|This article about an association football-related organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about sports in Portugal is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|