Portuguese Volleyball Super Cup
The trophy at Museu Cosme Damião
|No. of teams||2|
|Most titles||Benfica (8)|
The Portuguese Volleyball Super Cup or Supertaça de Portugal is an annual Portuguese volleyball competition played by the champions of the Campeonato Nacional de Voleibol and the winners of the Taça de Portugal de Voleibol. It is organized by the Federação Portuguesa de Voleibol and its first edition (won by Benfica) took place in 1990. Sporting CP won the next three, with Castêlo da Maia and Sporting de Espinho dominating the next eight years, winning four titles each. In 2002, the tournament was interrupted and only resumed in 2010, with Castêlo da Maia winning its fifth. From 2011 to 2016, Benfica won six Supertaças in a row, becoming the most honoured club in the competition.
The competition was created in 1989 by the Portuguese Volleyball Federation, to serve as "curtain-raiser" for the season, in similar fashion to what other Super cup's do. Its first winner was Leixões, the national and cup champions, completing a treble. The following year was won by Benfica, in an edition named Taça Federação, or Federation's Cup, played by multiple teams. The following three were won by Sporting CP, and from then on, the Supertaça was only won by two clubs: Sporting de Espinho and Castêlo da Maia. They intercalated wins, and both bagged four wins each. In 2002 the competition stopped being contested and only returned in 2010 after a nine–year hiatus. On 5 October 2010, at the Pavilhão Municipal da Póvoa de Vazim, Castêlo da Maia and Sporting de Espinho decided who held the title as most honoured in the competition. The Maia-side won 3–1 and conquered their fifth Super cup, unlocking the tiebreaker.
Exactly one year later, Cup winners Benfica met débutantes Fonte Bastardo, the reigning league Champions on the Pavilhão do Casal Vistoso. The match ended with a win for Benfica, who lifted the trophy for the first time in 21 years. In the following year, Benfica faced Sporting de Espinho, a team that had beaten them five months before in the league final. On the hardwood, Benfica revenged that loss and won 3–0, lifting their third Super Cup. In the 15th edition, Benfica and Fonte Bastardo reunited in Pavilhão de Desportos de Vila do Conde to contest another Supertaça. In a much more exciting encounter than before, Benfica and Fonte Bastardo required five sets to decide the game, with Benfica winning the last one by 15–12. On 11 October 2014, Castêlo da Maia discussed the 16th edition with Benfica at the Pavilhão Multidesportos Mário Mexia in Coimbra. Castelo failed to defend their trophy lead in the competition and lost with Benfica; who subsequently matched them with five wins. A year later on 3 October 2015, Benfica won their fifth Super cup in a row, after defeating Sporting de Espinho by 3–0 in Coimbra. Hugo Gaspar scored 18 points and was the man of the match. In the 2016 edition, Benfica extended their streak to six wins, after beating Fonte Bastardo on Pavilhão Cidade de Viseu by 3–0. Benfica's streak ended in 2017 at Pavilhão Cidade de Almada with a 3–2 loss to Sporting de Espinho. On 5 October 2018, Benfica defeated Sporting by 3–0 to claim their eight Super Cup in Pavilhão Desportivo Póvoa de Varzim.
|1989[a]||Leixões||3–1 / 3–0||Sporting CP|
|1991[c]||Pavilhão Borges Coutinho / Nave de Alvalade||Sporting CP||3–1 / 3–1||Benfica|
|1992[d]||Pavilhão Borges Coutinho / Nave de Alvalade||Sporting CP||3–0 / 3–0||Benfica|
|1993||Nave de Alvalade||Sporting CP||3–1||Nacional|
|1994||Castêlo da Maia||3–2||Sporting CP|
|1995||Sporting de Espinho|
|1996||Castêlo da Maia||Sporting de Espinho|
|1997||Sporting de Espinho|
|1998||Sporting de Espinho|
|1999||Castêlo da Maia||Sporting de Espinho|
|2000||Sporting de Espinho|
|2001||Castêlo da Maia||Sporting de Espinho|
|2010||Municipal da Póvoa de Vazim||Castêlo da Maia||3–1||Sporting de Espinho|
|2011||Pavilhão do Casal Vistoso||Benfica||3–0||Fonte Bastardo|
|2012||Multidesportos Mário Mexia||Benfica||3–0||Sporting de Espinho|
|2013||Multidesportos Mário Mexia||Benfica||3–2||Fonte Bastardo|
|2014||Multidesportos Mário Mexia||Benfica||3–0||Castêlo da Maia|
|2015||Multidesportos Mário Mexia||Benfica||3–0||Sporting de Espinho|
|2016||Pavilhão Cidade de Viseu||Benfica||3–0||Fonte Bastardo|
|2017||Pavilhão Cidade de Almada||Sporting de Espinho||3–2||Benfica|
|2018||Pavilhão Póvoa de Varzim||Benfica||3–0||Sporting CP|
Performance by club
|Club||Winners||Runners-up||Years won||Years runner-up|
|Benfica||8||3||1990, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018||1991, 1992, 2017|
|Castêlo da Maia||5||1||1994, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2010||2014|
|Sporting de Espinho||5||6||1995, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2017||1996, 1999, 2001, 2010, 2012, 2015|
|Sporting CP||3||3||1991, 1992, 1993||1989, 1994, 2018|
|2011, 2013, 2016|
- Played over two legs
- The competition was named Federation's Cup and was played by multiple teams.
- Played over two legs
- Played over two legs
- "Supertaça de Masculinos no dia 3 de Outubro" [Men's Super Cup to be played on 3 October]. Federação Portuguesa de Voleibol (in Portuguese). 18 September 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Benfica conquista sem dificuldade quarta Supertaça de Voleibol" [Benfica wins fourth Super Cup without much trouble]. Jornal de Noticias (in Portuguese). 11 October 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Supertaça regressa após nove anos" [Supercup returns after nine years]. Público (in Portuguese). 20 September 2010. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Castêlo da Maia vence Supertaça" [Castêlo da Maia wins Supercup]. Sapo Desporto (in Portuguese). 5 October 2010. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Castelo da Maia conquista Supertaça" [Castêlo da Maia conquers Supercup]. Record (in Portuguese). 5 October 2010. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Benfica ganha Supertaça" [Benfica wins Supercup]. RTP (in Portuguese). 5 October 2011. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Benfica vence Fonte Bastardo e conquista Supertaça de Voleibol" [Benfica beats Fonte Bastardo and conquers Volleyball Super cup]. Jornal de Noticias (in Portuguese). 5 October 2011. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Sporting de Espinho e Benfica prosseguem "duelo"" [Sporting de Espinho and Benfica continue their "battle"]. O Jogo (in Portuguese). 3 October 2012. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Benfica vence Supertaça" [Benfica wins Supercup]. O Jogo (in Portuguese). 5 October 2012. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Benfica vence Supertaça de voleibol ao derrotar o Sporting de Espinho" [Benfica wins Supercup after defeating Sporting de Espinho]. Visão (in Portuguese). 5 October 2012. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Supertaça 2013 disputa-se amanhã (21H00) em Vila do Conde" [Supercup 2013 is played tomorrow at 21H00 in Vila do Conde]. Federação Portuguesa de Voleibol (in Portuguese). 26 September 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Voleibol: Benfica conquista a Supertaça" [Volleyball: Benfica conquers Supercup]. Mais Futebol (in Portuguese). 27 September 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Benfica conquista Supertaça" [Benfica conquers Supercup]. Record (in Portuguese). 27 September 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Supertaça entre Benfica e Castêlo da Maia com data marcada" [Supercup between Benfica and Castelo da Maia with scheduled date]. SAPO Desporto (in Portuguese). 18 September 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Benfica faz o 'penta' na Supertaça de voleibol" [Benfica does the "penta" in Super Cup's]. SAPO Desporto (in Portuguese). 3 October 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Benfica vence Supertaça de voleibol" [Benfica wins Volleyball Super Cup]. Diário de Noticas (in Portuguese). 3 October 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Supertaças jogam-se em Viseu e Vila Flor" [Supercup's to be played in Viseu and Vila Flor]. Sapo Desporto (in Portuguese). 27 September 2016. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "2016 Supertaça Voleibol Masculino" [2016 Men's Volleyball Supercup]. Twitter.com (in Portuguese). Federação Portuguesa de Voleibol. 22 October 2016. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "Almada recebe Supertaça de voleibol entre Benfica e Sporting de Espinho" [Almada receives Super Cup between Benfica and Sporting de Espinho]. SAPO Desporto (in Portuguese). 25 September 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Benfica vence o Sporting e a Supertaça de voleibol" [Benfica beats Sporting and conquers Super Cup]. Público (in Portuguese). 5 October 2018. Retrieved 6 October 2018.