Portuguese people in France
(Total population of Portuguese ancestry
|Regions with significant populations|
|Paris, Corsica, Bordeaux, Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse, Roubaix, Northeastern France, Île-de-France, Aquitaine, Languedoc-Roussillon, Midi-Pyrénées, Brittany, Poitou-Charentes, Corsica, Centre-Val de Loire, Limousin, Pays de la Loire, Lower Normandy, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur|
|Related ethnic groups|
Portuguese immigration in France took place mainly during the 1960s and 1970s, to escape dictatorship and conscription, and to enable immigrants to find better living conditions. Portuguese migrants were sometimes referred as gens des baraques (people from the barracks). Most began working in construction.
There are different types of Portuguese who migrated to France. There are Portuguese professionals with college degrees, and there are Portuguese in construction or similar work. The Portuguese are known in France as hard workers.
In 1917, an avenue was named avenue des Portugais in Paris. The name pays tribute to the expeditionary forces sent by Lisbon (which represented 80,000 men). In the mid-1950s, Portuguese moved to France in significant numbers to escape Salazar's dictatorship.
|Year||Portuguese-born population||Migrants||Consulary records
|Regions||Île-de-France||Rhône-Alpes, Auvergne||Paca, Languedoc-Roussillon||other regions|
|% of total||36%||16%||3%||45%|
- Adrien Silva, Portuguese footballer.
- Anthony Lopes, Portuguese footballer.
- Cédric Soares, Portuguese footballer.
- Raphael Guerreiro, Portuguese footballer.
- Manuel Da Costa, Moroccan footballer born in France to a Portuguese father and a Moroccan mother.
- Kévin Gameiro, French footballer with Portuguese heritage on his paternal side.
- Antoine Griezmann, French footballer born (Portuguese mother).
- Petit, Portuguese footballer.
- Robert Pirès, French footballer born in France to a Portuguese father and a Spanish mother.
- Morgan Parra, French rugby union player with Portuguese ancestry on his paternal side.
- Mika, footballer.
- Alemão, footballer.
- Daniel Velasques, French athlete.
- Maxime Teixeira, French tennis player.
- Filipe Teixeira, Portuguese footballer.
- Yohan Tavares, footballer.
- Yannis Tafer, Algerian footballer born in France to an Algerian father and a Portuguese mother.
- David Simão, Portuguese footballer.
- Anthony da Silva, footballer.
- Marco Ramos, Portuguese footballer.
- Stanislas Oliveira, Portuguese footballer.
- Mike Moura, footballer.
- Daniel Moreira, French footballer.
- Jonathan Mendes, footballer.
- Lionel Medeiros, footballer.
- Mourad Meghni, Algerian footballer born in France to an Algerian father and a Portuguese mother.
- Jonathan Martins Pereira, footballer.
- Corentin Martins, French footballer
- Ludovic, Portuguese footballer.
- Mathias Pereira Lage, footballer.
- João Pedro Fernandes, footballer.
- Arthur Hanse, Portuguese alpine skier.
- Claude Gonçalves, Portuguese footballer.
- Cédric Gonçalves, footballer.
- Julien Fernandes, Portuguese footballer.
- Fabrice Fernandes, footballer.
- Michel Espinosa, French footballer.
- Laurent Dos Santos, footballer.
- Nando de Colo, French basketball player.
- Damien Da Silva, French footballer.
- Stéphane Da Costa, French ice hockey player.
- Cristóvão, Portuguese footballer.
- Sonia Bompastor, French footballer.
- Amaury Bischoff, Portuguese footballer born in France to an Alsatian father and a Portuguese mother.
- Cédric Barbosa, footballer.
- Felipe Azevedo, footballer.
- Rafael Dias, French footballer.
- Maria Rebelo, runner.
- Carlos Mendes Varela, rugby league player.
- Catherine Ribeiro, singer.
- Marie Myriam, singer born as Myriam Lopes.
- Lucenzo, singer born as Luís Filipe Oliveira.
- Kool Shen, rapper born as Bruno Lopes.
- Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, Daft Punk singer.
- Emmanuel da Silva, singer.
- Caroline Costa, singer.
- Linda de Suza, singer.
Television and Cinema
- Karine Ferri, presenter born to a French father and a Portuguese mother.
- Barbara Cabrita, actress.
- Bruno de Almeida, filmmaker.
- Antonio de Almeida, conductor.
- Paul Moreira, journalist and filmmaker.
- Kim Prisu, painter born as Joaquim António Gonçalves Borregana.
- Maria Helena Vieira da Silva, painter.
- "Country-of-birth database". Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- Portugais en Corse
- Immigration portugaise : une vieille histoire sur France 2
- Les Portugais prennent la relève à partir du début des années 1960
- LES JEUNES D’ORIGINE PORTUGAISE
- Selves in Two Languages
- "Country-of-birth database". Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- Infos migrations n° 20 - février 2011.
- OECD 2004
- Observatório da Emigração
- Perspectives des migrations internationales
- Observatório da Emigração
- Répartition des étrangers par nationalité en 2011 INSEE.
- Répartition des immigrés par pays de naissance en 2011 INSEE.
- "José Eduardo dos Santos diz que trabalhadores portugueses são bem-vindos em Angola". Observatório da Emigração. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
...presença de cerca de 200 mil trabalhadores portugueses no país...
- (French) Quid Insee - Population
|This France-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|