Portuguese local elections, 1982
All 305 Portuguese municipalities and 4,260 Portuguese Parishes
All 1,909 local government councils
|Turnout||71.1% 0.6 pp|
|This article is part of the series:|
|Politics and government of|
The Portuguese local elections of 1982 took place on 12 December. They were the third local elections in Portugal since the democratic revolution of 1974 introduced the concept of democratic local power.
The elections consisted of three separate elections in the 305 Portuguese municipalities that existed at the time, the election for the Municipal Chambers, whose winner is elected mayor, another election for the Municipal Assembly and a last one for the lower-level Parish Assembly, whose winner is elected parish president, this last was held separately in the more than 4,000 parishes around the country.
The Socialist Party finished once more on the top of the results table, increasing its share by 4%, however that was because the coalition between the two major right-wing parties, the Democratic and Social Center and the Social Democratic Party, the Democratic Alliance, did not participate in all Municipalities and Parishes, being the parties which composed it, separated in many Municipalities. This right wing coalition did, however, lose some voting in relation to the previous election.
The left-wing United People Alliance dominated the election in the municipalities of the South of the country, gathering more than 60% of the voting and achieving its best result ever with 20.7% and 55 mayors.
The main political forces involved in the election were:
- Democratic Alliance (AD) (only in some municipalities)
- Democratic and Social Center (CDS) (only in some municipalities)
- Socialist Party (PS)
- Social Democratic Party (PSD) (only in some municipalities)
- United People Alliance (APU)
National summary of votes and seats
|United People Alliance||1,038,033||20.91||316||0||55||5|
|Democratic and Social Centre||369,263||7.44||185||29||27||7|
|People's Democratic Union||31,567||0.64||3||0||0||0|
|Socialist / UEDS||31,251||0.63||11||—||1||—|
|Portuguese Workers' Communist||15,315||0.31||0||0||0||0|
|Workers Party of Socialist Unity||5,684||0.11||0||0||0||0|
|Independent Social Democratic Action||4,236||0.09||7||—||1||—|
|Total (turnout 71.05%)||4,964,370||100.00|
|United People Alliance||1,070,247||21.10||1,763||17|
|Democratic and Social Centre||379,833||7.49||1,003||171|
|People's Democratic Union||35,128||0.70||21||37|
|Socialist / UEDS||31,481||0.63||52||—|
|Portuguese Workers' Communist||7,120||0.14||1||1|
|Independent Social Democratic Action||3,858||0.08||32||—|
|Workers Party of Socialist Unity||2,499||0.05||0||—|
|Total (turnout 71.28%)||5,071,507||100.00|
|United People Alliance||1,071,831||21.76||4,997||265|
|Democratic and Social Centre||381,150||7.74||4,837||176|
|Socialist / UEDS||25,265||0.51||258||—||—|
|People's Democratic Union||24,799||0.50||30||25|
|Portuguese Workers' Communist||5,023||0.10||0||3|
|Independent Social Democratic Action||2,768||0.06||49||—||—|
|Workers Party of Socialist Unity||856||0.02||0||1|
|Total (turnout 69.59%)||4,922,228||100.00|
- The source of the voting data is the Portuguese Electoral Commission
- Democratic Alliance (AD) was composed by the Democratic Social Center (CDS), the Social Democratic Party (PSD) and the People's Monarchist Party (PPM).
- Although the PSD, the CDS and the PPM were united in the Democratic Alliance, they appear in the scorecard because they ran separated in several municipalities.
- United People Alliance (APU) was composed by the Portuguese Communist Party (PCP) and the Portuguese Democratic Movement (MDP/CDE).
- The number of candidacies expresses the number of municipalities or parishes in which the party or coalition presented lists.
- The number of mandates expresses the number of municipal deputies in the Municipal Assembly election and the number of parish deputies in the Parish Assembly election.
- The turnout varies because one may choose not to vote for all the organs.
- Sum of PSD, AD, CDS and PPM votes.
- Sum of PS and PS/UEDS votes.
- Sum of PSD, AD, CDS and PPM elected mayors.
- Sum of PS and PS/UEDS elected mayors.
- Sum of PSD, AD, CDS and PPM elected councillors.
- Sum of PS and PS/UEDS elected councillors.