Mainistir Phort Omna
|Other names||Portomna; Portompria|
|Order||Cistercian Order (1254–1414?)|
Dominican Order (1426–1711)
|Established||1254; refounded 1426, 1640|
|Disestablished||c. 1582, 1698, 1711|
|Mother house||Dunbrody Abbey (Cistercian era)|
|Founder(s)||Murchad Ó Madáin (1426)|
|Important associated figures||Ambrose Ó Madadhan|
Richard Ó Madadhan
Ulick Burke, 3rd Earl of Clanricarde
Patrick Sarsfield, 1st Earl of Lucan
|Location||Portumna Demesne, Portumna, County Galway|
|Visible remains||abbey church, cloister|
|Official name||Portumna Abbey|
The Cistercian foundation declined and was replaced with a Dominican friary dedicated to Saint Mary Assumed into Heaven, Peter and Paul, founded in 1426 by Murchad Ó Madáin of the powerful O'Madden lords of Síol Anmchadha.
The friary was reestablished in 1640, with Ambrose Ó Madadhan the first prior. Richard Ó Madadhan was prior in 1691, when the friars were forced to flee after the Battle of Aughrim. Anthony McHugo was the prior when the Dominicans were formally expelled on 1 May 1698. Some remained and by the early 18th century they had reoccupied the priory. McHugo died there on 24 July 1711. The friars continued to live in the area, at Boula and at Gortanumera up to the 19th century.
- "Wild Geese Heritage Museum and Library, Portumna, Co. Galway, Ireland - Portumna Abbey". indigo.ie.
- "Portumna Abbey". dúchas.ie.
- Travel, D. K. (1 February 2013). Back Roads Ireland. Dorling Kindersley Limited. ISBN 9781409323198 – via Google Books.
- Leask, Harold Graham (31 March 2018). "Irish Churches and Monastic Buildings". Dundalgan Press – via Google Books.
- "abbey ruins - Picture of Portumna Castle, Portumna - TripAdvisor". www.tripadvisor.ie.
- Salter, Mike (31 March 2018). Abbeys and Friaries of Ireland. Folly Publications. ISBN 9781871731842 – via Google Books.
- Crowl, Philip Axtell (31 March 1990). The Intelligent Traveller's Guide to Historic Ireland. Contemporary Books. ISBN 9780809240623 – via Google Books.
- Harbison, Peter (1 May 1975). Guide to the national monuments in the Republic of Ireland: including a selection of other monuments not in state care. Gill & Macmillan. ISBN 9780717107582 – via Internet Archive.
- "Portumna Abbey County Galway Ireland". Archived from the original on 13 May 2012.
- "Portumna, Portumna Ireland, Portumna Galway Ireland". portumna.galway-ireland.ie.
- Fenning, Hugh (31 March 1972). The undoing of the friars of Ireland: a study of the novitiate question in the eighteenth century. Publications universitaíres de Louvain. ISBN 9782874633898 – via Google Books.
- "Portumna Abbey". 13 July 2012.
- "Portumna Friary, Co Galway - Secret Ireland". www.secret-ireland.com. March 2015.
- "The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland: Adapted to the New Poor-law, Franchise, Municipal and Ecclesiastical Arrangements, and Compiled with a Special Reference to the Lines of Railroad and Canal Communication, as Existing in 1814-45". A. Fullarton and Company. 31 March 2018 – via Google Books.
- "Portumna Friary, Galway".
- on YouTube