|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
In 2013, a Poseidon Expedition’s cruise accomplished the 100th reaching of the North Pole in the history of icebreaker navigation - this historic event occurred on July 30, 2013 at 20:49 GMT.
By 2015, Poseidon Expeditions will have operations in Spitsbergen, Franz Josef Land (Russian High Arctic), Greenland, Iceland, and Scotland, aboard its all-suite, luxury expedition’s ship, the Sea Spirit.
Poseidon Expeditions' Polar Fleet
50 Years of Victory, the most modern nuclear-powered icebreaker in the world, is equipped with helicopters and rubber inflatable boats, enabling travelers to explore wild Arctic areas. The icebreaker ship, which is also the world’s largest, is the successor to the Yamal icebreaker, as of 2008. The Yamal had been used by Poseidon Expeditions for passenger transportation to the North Pole for 7 years, from 2001 to 2007.
The company has chosen all-suite Sea Explorer small luxury ship for Antarctic destinations. An ice-strengthened hull, a fleet of rubber inflatable boats for landings on wild shores, an experienced crew, and a set of retractable fin stabilizers for smoother sailing provide comfortable and safe navigation in Antarctica.
In 2015, Poseidon Expeditions will revive the ‘Franz Josef Land Expedition Cruises’ aboard a smaller, all-suite, luxury expedition ship, the Sea Spirit. The Sea Spirit will also carry Poseidon’s cruises to Spitsbergen, Greenland, Iceland, and Scotland. This boats ice-strengthened hull, fleet of rubber inflatable boats for landings on wild shores, experienced crew, and set of retractable fin stabilizers for smooth sailing, provide comfortable and safe navigations in Arctic regions.
Poseidon Expeditions Facts
The Russian nuclear-powered icebreaker "50 Years of Victory" operated by Poseidon Expeditions in the Arctic is the largest and most modern icebreaker in the world.
Poseidon Expeditions was the first to open the most remote Russian Arctic regions to travelers. In 2005 the unique route was worked out for “Pearls of the Russian Arctic” icebreaker expedition. The program included visits to Novaya Zemlya, Oranskie Islands, Vise Island, Severnaya Zemlya, Maud Bay, Birulia Bay, port of Dickson, ruins of Khabarovo GULAG, Vaigach Island.
- "Breaking the Ice: How to Board Arctic Expedition Ships". Frommers.com. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "The North Pole Has Been Reached for the 100th Time in the History of Icebreaker Navigation: Poseidon Expeditions Sets Foot on Top of the World". Prweb.com. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "Poseidon Expeditions Announces Antarctica Cruise Booking Aboard m/v Sea Explorer for 2013 and 2014". Emailwire.com. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- Cruises. "The best unusual cruises". Telegraph. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "50 Years of Victory review". Telegraph. 2013-09-30. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "Logbook from 25.07.2005 to 07.08.2005". Poseidonexpeditions.com. Retrieved 2013-12-10.