Ice wall at Korouoma
Location of Posio in Finland
|Sub-region||Eastern Lapland sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Heli Knutars|
|• Total||3,039.12 km2 (1,173.41 sq mi)|
|• Land||3,038.81 km2 (1,173.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||506.14 km2 (195.42 sq mi)|
|Area rank||16th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||215th largest in Finland|
|• Density||1.14/km2 (3.0/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.5% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||12.5%|
|• 15 to 64||63.2%|
|• 65 or older||24.3%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
Posio is a municipality of Finland. It is located in the province of Lapland. The municipality has a population of 3,470 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 3,039.12 square kilometres (1,173.41 sq mi) of which 506.14 km2 (195.42 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1.14 inhabitants per square kilometre (3.0/sq mi). Neighbour municipalities are Rovaniemi, Kemijärvi, Ranua, Salla, Kuusamo, Taivalkoski and Pudasjärvi.
The municipality has a single language, Finnish.
Major employers in Posio are municipality itself, major pottery manufacturer Pentik and agriculture (especially dairy farming).
Korouoma canyon and natural reserve is located in Posio.
Sights and events
Posio's most renowned attractions are the Pentik-mäki Culture Centre, Riisitunturi National Park, Korouoma Nature Reserve, and the clear waters of lakes Kitkajärvi and Livojärvi. There are also many outdoor recreational things to do in Posio.
The world's northernmost ceramics factory is located in Posio. Pentik Oy interior design company was established in 1971 by Anu and Topi Pentikäinen.
Regular events in Posio are the Posio Fair, Amateur Theater event Teatterihelinät, and Traditional Fish Fair Market (Muikkumarkkinat) in July.
- "Population density by area 1.1.2016". Statistics Finland. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Media related to Posio at Wikimedia Commons
- Posio travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Municipality of Posio – Official website (in Finnish) (in English)
- Posio Tourism – Official Website
|This Lapland (Finland) location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|