|Studio album by |
|Released||August 29, 2005 (UK)|
August 30, 2005 (U.S.)
|Producer||Herbie Hancock, Jessica Hancock, John Alagía, Bob Brockman, Yaron Fuchs, Bryce Goggin, Steven "Steven J." Jordan, Rob Lewis, Alan Mintz, Greg Phillinganes, Paul Simon|
|Herbie Hancock chronology|
Possibilities is the forty-fifth studio album by American jazz musician Herbie Hancock, released in the United States on August 30, 2005 by Vector Recordings.
The album features a variety of guest musicians such as Trey Anastasio, John Mayer and Carlos Santana. It earned Hancock two nominations at the 2006 Grammy Awards: Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals for "A Song for You" (shared with pop singer Christina Aguilera) and Best Pop Instrumental Performance for "Gelo na Montanha" (shared with rock singer-guitarist Trey Anastasio). A motion picture entitled Herbie Hancock: Possibilities, released on DVD on April 18, 2006, depicts the recording of this album in many different discussions and performances with the collaborating artists. The DVD also includes a demo CD with 4 of the 10 songs on the album.
- "Stitched Up" (featuring John Mayer) (Herbie Hancock, John Mayer) – 5:27
- "Safiatou" (featuring Santana and Angélique Kidjo) (Harold Alexander) – 5:25
- "A Song for You" (featuring Christina Aguilera) (Leon Russell) – 7:05
- "I Do It for Your Love" (featuring Paul Simon) (Paul Simon) – 5:58
- "Hush, Hush, Hush" (featuring Annie Lennox) (Paula Cole) – 4:46
- "Sister Moon" (featuring Sting) (Sting) – 6:54
- "When Love Comes to Town" (featuring Jonny Lang and Joss Stone) (Adam Clayton, David Evans, Larry Mullen, Jr., Paul Hewson) – 8:41
- "Don't Explain" (featuring Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan) (Arthur Herzog Jr., Billie Holiday) – 4:53
- "I Just Called to Say I Love You" (featuring Raul Midón) (Stevie Wonder) – 5:27
- "Gelo na Montanha" 1 (featuring Trey Anastasio) (Cyro Baptista, Herbie Hancock, Trey Anastasio) – 3:48
- 1 Portuguese for "Ice on the Mountain"