|Studio album by|
|Recorded||January 28, 1964|
|Lou Donaldson chronology|
Possum Head is an album by jazz saxophonist Lou Donaldson recorded for the Argo label in 1964 and performed by Donaldson with Bill Hardman, Big John Patton, Ray Crawford, Ben Dixon, and Cleopas Morris.
The album was awarded 4 stars in an Allmusic review by Jason Ankeny who states "Patton's sublimely funky grooves effectively sand away Donaldson's wooden edges to create rolling melodic contours... Donaldson circles around the hard-driving soul-jazz sensibilities of his later records but never quite commits, instead favoring lyrical solos well-matched to standards... An engaging and underrated record".
- All compositions by Lou Donaldson except as indicated
- "Possum Head" - 3:15
- "Laura" (David Raksin) - 4:42
- "Midnight Soul" - 4:57
- "Bye Bye Blackbird" (Mort Dixon, Ray Henderson) - 6:28
- "Persimmon Tree" - 5:35
- "Frenesí" (Alberto Dominguez, Leonard Whitcup) - 6:15
- "Man with a Horn" (Eddie DeLange, Jack Jenney, Bonnie Lake) - 5:04
- "Secret Love" (Sammy Fain, Paul Francis Webster) - 5:43
- Recorded in NYC on January 28, 1964.
- Lou Donaldson - alto saxophone
- Bill Hardman - trumpet
- Ray Crawford - guitar
- Big John Patton - organ
- Ben Dixon - drums
- Cleopas Morris - percussion