|Developer(s)||Refractions Research, Paul Ramsey, Dave Blasby, Mark Cave-Ayland, Regina Obe, Sandro Santilli, Olivier Courtin, Nicklas Avén, Bborie Park, Pierre Racine, Daniel Baston, Darafei Praliaskouski, Raúl Marín Rodríguez, Kevin Neufeld, Jeff Lounsbury, Chris Hodgson, Jorge Arévalo, Mateusz Loskot, Norman Vine, Carl Anderson, Ralph Mason, Klaus Foerster, Bruno Wolff III, Markus Schaber|
|Initial release||April 19, 2001|
3.0.1 / February 20, 2020
|Operating system||Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, POSIX-compliant systems|
|Type||Geographic information system|
|License||GNU General Public License (version 2 or later)|
PostGIS (// POST-jis) is an open source software program that adds support for geographic objects to the PostgreSQL object-relational database. PostGIS follows the Simple Features for SQL specification from the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC).
Technically PostGIS was implemented as a PostgreSQL external extension.
- Geometry types for Points, LineStrings, Polygons, MultiPoints, MultiLineStrings, MultiPolygons and GeometryCollections.
- Spatial predicates for determining the interactions of geometries using the 3x3 DE-9IM (provided by the GEOS software library).
- Spatial operators for determining geospatial measurements like area, distance, length and perimeter.
- Spatial operators for determining geospatial set operations, like union, difference, symmetric difference and buffers (provided by GEOS).
- R-tree-over-GiST (Generalized Search Tree) spatial indexes for high speed spatial querying.
- Index selectivity support, to provide high performance query plans for mixed spatial/non-spatial queries.
- For raster data, PostGIS WKT Raster (now integrated into PostGIS 2.0+ and renamed PostGIS Raster)
The PostGIS implementation is based on "light-weight" geometries and indexes optimized to reduce disk and memory footprint. Using light-weight geometries helps servers increase the amount of data migrated up from physical disk storage into RAM, improving query performance substantially.
PostGIS is registered as "implements the specified standard" for "Simple Features for SQL" by the OGC. PostGIS has not been certified as compliant by the OGC.
In 2006 the OGC registered PostGIS as "implement[ing] the specified standard" for "Simple Features for SQL".
|Release||First release||Latest minor version||Latest release|
|1.0||2005-04-19||Old version, no longer maintained: 1.0.6||2005-12-06|
|1.1||2005-12-21||Old version, no longer maintained: 1.1.7||2007-01-31|
|1.2||2006-12-08||Old version, no longer maintained: 1.2.1||2007-01-11|
|1.3||2007-08-09||Old version, no longer maintained: 1.3.6||2009-05-06|
|1.4||2009-07-24||Old version, no longer maintained: 1.4.2||2010-03-11|
|1.5||2010-02-04||Old version, no longer maintained: 1.5.8||2012-11-15|
|2.0||2012-04-03||Old version, no longer maintained: 2.0.7||2015-04-06|
|2.1||2013-08-17||Old version, no longer maintained: 2.1.9||2017-09-19|
|2.2||2015-10-07||Old version, no longer maintained: 2.2.8||2018-11-22|
|2.3||2016-09-26||Older version, yet still maintained: 2.3.10||2019-08-11|
|2.4||2017-09-30||Older version, yet still maintained: 2.4.8||2019-08-11|
|2.5||2018-09-23||Older version, yet still maintained: 2.5.4||2020-02-28|
|3.0||2019-10-20||Current stable version: 3.0.1||2020-02-20|
|3.1||2020-10||Future release: 3.1.0alpha1||2020-02-02|
Many software products can use PostGIS as a database backend, including:
- ArcGIS (via GISquirrel, ST-Links SpatialKit, ZigGIS, ArcSDE and other third-party connectors)
- Cadcorp SIS
- CitySurf Globe
- GeoMedia (via third-party connectors)
- GeoServer (GPL)
- GeoNetwork (GPL)
- GRASS GIS (GPL)
- gvSIG (GPL)
- Kosmo (GPL)
- Manifold System
- MapInfo Professional
- Mapnik (LGPL)
- MapServer (BSD)
- MapGuide (LGPL)
- OpenJUMP (GPL)
- QGIS (GPL)
- SAGA GIS (GPL)
- TerraLib (LGPL)
- TerraView (GPL)
- uDig (LGPL)
- Well-known text and binary, descriptions of geospatial objects used within PostGIS
- DE-9IM, the Dimensionally Extended nine-Intersection Model used by PostGIS
- "PostGIS 3.0.1".
- OGC Implementing Product Details Open Geospatial Consortium
- PostGIS History
- PostGIS 1.0.6 Released
- PostGIS 1.2.1 Release
- PostGIS 1.3.6 Release
- PostGIS 1.4.2 Release
- PostGIS 1.5.8 Released
- PostGIS 2.0.7 and 2.1.7 Released
- PostGIS 2.1.9 Released
- PostGIS 2.2.8 EOL
- PostGIS 3.0.0alpha4, 2.5.3, 2.4.8, 2.3.10 Released
- PostGIS 2.5.4
- "PostGIS 3.1.0alpha1".