Post Consumer Brands
|Postum Cereals (1895–2007)|
Post Cereals (2007–2015)
|Founded||Battle Creek, Michigan, U.S. (1895 )|
|Founder||C. W. Post|
|Products||Breakfast cereals and granola|
Post Consumer Brands (previously Post Cereals and Postum Cereals) is an American consumer cereal brand that includes Honey Bunches of Oats, Pebbles, Great Grains, Post Shredded Wheat, Post Raisin Bran, Grape-Nuts, Honeycomb, Frosted Mini Spooners, Golden Puffs, Oh's, Cinnamon Toasters, Fruity Dyno-Bites, Cocoa Dyno-Bites, Berry Colossal Crunch and Malt-O-Meal hot wheat cereal.
Post was founded by C. W. Post in 1895 with the first Postum, a "cereal beverage", developed by Post in Battle Creek, Michigan. Post was a patient at the Battle Creek Sanitarium (run by John Harvey Kellogg) and was inspired by the diet there to start his food company (and become a rival to the Kellogg brothers, who sold their own breakfast cereals). The first cereal, Grape-Nuts, was developed in 1897 followed by Elijah's Manna in 1904 which was renamed Post Toasties in 1908.
In 1907 Collier's Weekly published an article questioning the claim made in advertisements for Grape Nuts that it could cure appendicitis. C. W. Post responded with advertisements questioning the mental capacity of the article's author, and Collier's Weekly sued for libel. The case was heard in 1910, and Post was fined $50,000. The decision was overturned on appeal, but advertisements for Postum products stopped making such claims.
The Postum Cereals company, after acquiring Jell-O gelatin in 1925, Baker's Chocolate in 1927, Maxwell House coffee in 1928, and other food brands, changed its name to General Foods Corporation in 1929. By far the most important acquisition of 1929 was of the frozen-food company owned by Clarence Birdseye, called General Foods Company. Chairman E. F. Hutton changed the name to General Foods Corporation after the acquisition of Birdseye and eventually moved the corporate headquarters to Park Avenue in New York City. General Foods was acquired by Philip Morris Companies in 1985.
In 1989, Philip Morris merged General Foods with Kraft Foods, which it had acquired in 1987, to form the Kraft General Foods division. The cereal brands of Nabisco were acquired in 1993. In 1995, Kraft General Foods was reorganized and renamed Kraft Foods.
On November 15, 2007, Kraft announced it would spin off Post Cereals and merge that business with Ralcorp Holdings. That merger was completed August 4, 2008. The official name of the company became Post Foods, LLC.
In July 2011, Ralcorp announced plans to spin off Post Foods into a separate company. About a quarter of Ralcorp's sales in 2010 were generated by its Post Foods unit. The spinoff was completed with an IPO for Post Holdings, Inc. on February 7, 2012.
In 2015, Post Foods purchased MOM Brands (formerly Malt-O-Meal Co.) creating the third largest breakfast cereal company in the US. The combined company is now called Post Consumer Brands and is headquartered in Lakeville, Minnesota.
- Postum advertisements
Post Foods cereal brands – present cereals
- 100% Bran – currently only available in Canada
- Bran Flakes
- Cinnamon Pebbles
- Cocoa Pebbles
- Fruity Pebbles
- Fruity Pebbles Xtreme
- Golden Crisp
- Golden Oreo O's
- Good MOREnings Waffle Crunch (a variation of Waffle Crisp)
- Grape-Nuts Fit
- Grape-Nuts Flakes
- Great Grains Banana Nut Crunch
- Great Grains Blueberry Morning
- Great Grains Cranberry Almond Crunch
- Great Grains Crunchy Pecans
- Great Grains Digestive Blends – Berry Medley
- Great Grains Digestive Blends – Vanilla
- Great Grains Protein Blend – Cinnamon Hazelnut
- Great Grains Protein Blend – Honey, Oats & Seeds
- Great Grains Raisins, Dates & Pecans
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Honey Roasted
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Raisin Medley
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Almonds
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Cinnamon Bunches
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Real Strawberries
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Vanilla Bunches
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Pecan Bunches
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Fruit Blends – Banana Blueberry
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Fruit Blends – Peach Raspberry
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Greek – Honey Crunch
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Greek – Mixed Berry
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Tropical Blends – Mango Coconut
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Granola – Honey Roasted
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Granola – Raspberry
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Granola – Cinnamon
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Granola – Protein Chocolate
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Morning Energy – Chocolatey Almond Crunch
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Morning Energy – Cinnamon Crunch
- Honey Maid S'mores
- Oreo O's
- Poppin' Pebbles
- Raisin Bran
- Selects Cranberry Almond Crunch
- Sesame Street Cereal – Apple
- Sesame Street Cereal - Blueberry
- Sesame Street Cereal - Strawberry
- Shredded Wheat (made by Nestlé and General Mills in the United Kingdom and Ireland)
- Shredded Wheat – Original Spoon Size
- Shredded Wheat – Honey Nut Spoon Size
- Shredded Wheat – Wheat'N Bran Spoon Size
- Shredded Wheat – Lightly Frosted Spoon Size
- Shredded Wheat – Frosted Cinnamon Roll
- Shredded Wheat – Frosted Mixed berry
- Shredded Wheat – Frosted S'mores Bites
- Shreddies – currently only available in Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Germany (made by Nestlé and General Mills in the United Kingdom and Ireland)
- Waffle Crisp
Post Foods discontinued cereals
- 40% Bran Flakes
- Beep Beep (with the Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner as mascots)
- BlueBerry Morning
- Bran & Prune Flakes
- Cinna-Crunch Pebbles (discontinued 2001)
- Corn Crackos
- Corn-Fetti (early 1950s), later known as Sugar Coated Corn Flakes (late 1950s), later known as Sugar Sparkled Corn Flakes (1960s)
- Corn Flakes & Blueberries
- Corn Flakes & Peaches
- Corn Flakes & Strawberries
- Count Off
- Crispy Critters
- Crispy Numbers (in Canada)
- Cröonchy Stars
- Cupcake Pebbles
- C.W. Post (granola cereal, discontinued 1994)
- Dino Pebbles
- Dino S'mores Pebbles
- Fortified Oat Flakes
- Fruit & Bran (formerly Fruit & Fiber)
- Fruit Wheats (Shredded Wheat variant, discontinued 1990)
- Good MOREnings Cocoa Cinnamon (chocolate flavored rings)
- Good MOREnings Berry Wheels (strawberry flavored rings)
- Good MOREnings Strawberries 'n' Creme (strawberry-flavored corn flakes)
- Grape Nut O's
- Heart of Oats
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Just Bunches – Honey Roasted
- Honey Bunches of Oats – Just Bunches – Cinnamon
- Honey Bunches of Oats – with Real Peaches
- Honey Maid Honey Graham
- Marshmallow Alpha-Bits
- Mini Cinnamon Churros
- Marshmallow Pebbles
- Oat Flakes
- Pink Panther Flakes
- Post Extra
- Post Ghosties (with Casper the Friendly Ghost as its mascot)
- Post Size 8
- Post-Tens, an assortment of 10 single-serving boxes of seven different Post cereals in one package, designed to compete with Kellogg's Variety Pack
- Post Toasties
- Post Top 3
- Puffed Corn Flakes
- Raisin Grape-Nuts
- Reptar Crunch
- Rice Krinkles (originally Sugar Krinkles, then Sugar Rice Krinkles, finally Frosted Rice Krinkles before discontinuation)
- Selects Banana Nut Crunch
- Selects Maple Pecan Crunch
- Shredded Wheat – Vanilla Almond Spoon Size
- Smurfberry Crunch
- Smurf Magic Berries
- Strawberry Honeycomb
- Super Orange Crisp
- TEAM Flakes
- The Fairly OddParents
- Trail Mix Crunch – Cranberry Vanilla (discontinued Fall 2010)
- Trail Mix Crunch – Raisin and Almond
- "Elijah's Manna Cereal". MrBreakfast.com.
- Pendergrast, Mark (2010). Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World. New York: Basic Books. pp. 101–102. ISBN 978-0-465-01836-9.
- "Kraft Foods to Merge Its Post Cereals Business With Ralcorp". Kraft Foods. Retrieved 2007-11-15.
- "Ralcorp Announces Completion of Post Cereals Merger". Ralcorp Holdings, Inc. Archived from the original on 2008-12-18. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- Boyle, Matthew (July 14, 2011). "Ralcorp to Spin Off Post Foods After Failing to Find Buyer". Bloomberg.
- York, New (2012-02-07). "Post Holdings Celebrates Spinoff from Ralcorp Holdings". Exchanges.nyx.com. Archived from the original on 2014-02-24. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
- Vintage Old 1960s Animated Post Beep Beep Cereal with Wylie Coyote and Roadrunner Commercial. YouTube. 29 June 2013.
- Post Bran & Prune Flakes - Classic TV Commercial. YouTube. 2 March 2013.
- Vintage Old 1960s Post Cereal Corn Crackos Animated Commercial. YouTube. 13 July 2013.
- Corn Flakes and Fruit Cereal Series II Classic Commercial 1960s Pt 2. YouTube. 23 July 2013.
- Corn Flakes and Peaches Cereal II Vintage Commercial 1960s Pt 2. YouTube. 23 July 2013.
- Post Fruit in the Box Cereals II Classic 1960s Pt 4. YouTube. 20 July 2013.
- Post Count Off Cereal (1962) - Classic TV Commercial. YouTube. 20 August 2012.
- "Comedy News, Viral Videos, Late Night TV, Political Humor, Funny Slideshows - HuffPost Comedy". The Huffington Post. Archived from the original on 2012-03-02. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Fortified Oat Flakes Cereal - MrBreakfast.com". mrbreakfast.com.
- Vintage Old 1950s Post Heart of Oats Cereal Commercial. YouTube. 24 July 2013.
- 1960 POST OAT FLAKES CEREAL COMMERCIAL. YouTube. 13 November 2013.
- Pink Panther Flakes cereal commercial. YouTube. 28 October 2012.
- YouTube. youtube.com.
- Vintage Old 1960s Post Casper The Ghost Ghosties Animated Cereal Commercial. YouTube. 23 July 2013.
- Vintage Old 1960s Post Size 8 Cereal Commercial. YouTube. 31 August 2013.
- Vintage Old 1950s Post Tens Cereal Multi Packs Corn Flakes, raisan bran commercial. YouTube. 10 February 2014.
- 1956 Commercial for Kellogg's Variety Pack ( Never used). YouTube. 31 August 2012.
- Vintage Old 1960s Post Top 3 Cereal Commercial. YouTube. 18 September 2013.
- Vintage Old 1950s Post Puffed Corn Flakes Cereal Commercial. YouTube. 28 August 2013.
- "Raisin Grape-Nuts: Raisin Grape-Nuts Cereal Box". mrbreakfast.com.
- "26 Cereals From The '90s You'll Never Be Able To Eat Again". BuzzFeed.
- 1963 RICE KRINKLES RICKSHAW RACER COMMERCIAL. YouTube. 3 March 2013.
- vintage_ads. "Freaky Friday - Evil Clown Phobia, anyone?". livejournal.com.
- Creepy Post Sugar Rice Krinkles Cereal - Classic 1960s TV Commercial. YouTube. 6 June 2012.
- Early 1970s Post Frosted Rice Krinkles Cereal TV commercial (animated). YouTube. 9 August 2010.
- "My Breakfast Cereal Was Discontinued". bcbusiness.ca.
- Vintage Old 1960s Post Super Orange Crisp Animated Cereal Commercial. YouTube. 13 August 2013.