Postage stamps and postal history of Brunei
Brunei is located on the north coast of the island of Borneo, in Southeast Asia. Its coastline with the South China Sea is the only portion that is not bounded by another country; the state of Sarawak, Malaysia surrounds the country and it is divided into two portion by Limbang, which is part of Sarawak.
The first stamps of Brunei were the 1895 "Star and crescent" set, long considered to bogus but subsequently shown to be genuine, although valid only for mail within the state and to Sarawak and Labuan.
In 1906 stamps of Labuan came into use, overprinted BRUNEI.
Brunei river stamps
In 1907 a set inscribed BRUNEI POSTAGE & REVENUE was issued showing a boat on the River Brunei. This set remained in use until 1949 during which time it went through many different printings.
World War II
Brunei was fully occupied by the Japanese Army in January 1942 until liberation in June 1945. During the occupation, overprinted and un-overprinted stamps of Brunei were used as well as stamps of Japan. Following liberation, stamps of North Borneo and Sarawak were used overprinted BMA (British Military Administration).
Following the British Military Administration, stamps of Brunei returned on 2 January 1947 and in 1949 a set was issued celebrating Sultan Ahmed Tajudin's Silver Jubilee. Also in 1949 Brunei issued stamps for the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Universal Postal Union as part of a British Commonwealth omnibus issue.
Regular commemorative and definitive stamp issues have continued since then.
Brunei never issued revenue-only stamps, since dual-purpose postage and revenue stamps were valid for fiscal use. High value stamps such as the $25 from the Brunei river series were intended for fiscal purposes but were technically also valid for postage.
- Stanley Gibbons Stamp Catalogue: Commonwealth and British Empire Stamps 1840-1970. 110th edition. London: Stanley Gibbons, 2008, p.132. ISBN 0-85259-653-7
- Stanley Gibbons Stamp Catalogue: Brunei, Malaysia & Singapore. 2nd edition. London: Stanley Gibbons, 2004, p.3. ISBN 0-85259-582-4
- McClellan, Andrew (2017). "Brunei". Revenue Reverend. Archived from the original on 24 September 2017.
- A Study of Brunei Postage Rates & Charges 1895-1985, E. Thorndyke, Brunei 1986.
- The Postal History of British Borneo, Edward Proud, Sussex 1987.
- Brunei the 1895 Issue, Robson Lowe, London 1973.
- Brunei, Fred Melville, Philatelic Institute, 1932.
- Brunei: The Definitive Issues & Postal Cancellations to 1974, T. Thorndyke, Berkshire.
- Brunei: Its Postage Stamps & Cancellations, Howard Lee, New York
- Sarawak Stamps During & After the Japanese Occupation, Alan Dant, Sarawak 1949.
- Japanese Occupation Stamps in Southeast Asia, Masayoshi Tsuchiya, Tokyo 2004.
- Publications by the Sarawak Specialists' Society.
- Brunei 1906-2006 - A display by the Sarawak Specialists' Society.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stamps of Brunei.|