Postage stamps and postal history of Guernsey
The first postal service took place using mail sent with captains of packet ships, using agents in the England and in the islands for the end delivery. The cost was normally 3d. To facilitate the collection of post, pillar boxes were introduced in the Channel Islands in 1852.
The first postage stamps issued by Guernsey were issued in 1941 during the German occupation of the Channel Islands. In 1969 Guernsey Post was created and since then Guernsey postage stamps have been issued on a regular basis. From 1983 Guernsey began issuing specific stamps designated Alderney for use in that island.
The first pillar boxes in Britain were introduced in the Channel Islands as an experiment in 1852, to collect mail for the Royal Mail packet boats. The oldest pillar box in use in the British Isles is in Guernsey.
In 1983 the first stamps titled "Alderney" were issued, since then regular sets of stamps for use in that island have been issued.
In 1998 postage stamps were issued without a price stated on the stamp, the terms "Local" and "UK" being used to distinguish the values. In 2010 "EUR" (Europe) and "ROW" (Rest of World) were issued. In 2012 this was expanded further with "UK Letter", "GY letter" (Guernsey) "INT letter" (International) "UK large" and "GY large" designating envelope size and destination.
Channel Islands & Guernsey
- Danan, Yves Maxime. Histoire Postale des îles de la Manche. Paris: "Le Monde des philatélistes", 1976/78. Comprising: Vol. 1: Les Affranchissements de guerre de 1870 à 1944; Vol. 2: La Libération, compléments depuis 1945, les conséquences de l'indépendance postale.
- Gurney, David. Postal History of the Guernsey Sub-Post Offices. Ilford: CISS Publishing, 1996 ISBN 0-946806-17-9, 265p.
- Martin, F. Story of Guernsey Postage Stamps 1940-1941, during the occupation by the German military authorities. Guernsey: The Guernsey Press Co., n.d. 15p.
- Mohle, Heinz. Die Briefmarken von den Kanal-Inseln: Guernsey & Jersey, Deutsche Besetzung 1940-1945. Frankfurt am Main: Arbeitsgemeinschaft Neues Handbuch der Briefmarkenkunde e.V. im Bund Deutscher Philatelisten e.V., 1970, 43p.
- Newport, William. The Airmails of the Channel Islands. Sidcup: Channel Islands Specialists' Society, 1957, 12p.
- Newport, William. The Channel Islands: France mail services, 1683-1939. Sidcup: Channel Islands Specialists' Society, 1956, 20p.
- Newport, William. Early Channel Islands postal history and notes on other material. Sidcup: Channel Islands Specialists' Society, 1958, 39p.
- Newport, William. Stamps and Postal History of the Channel Islands. London: Heinemann, 1972 ISBN 0-434-91470-3, 214p.
- Newport, William and John O. Simpson. Numeral obliterations and instructional marks of the Channel Islands. Sidcup: Channel Islands Specialists' Society, 1957, 12p.
- Newport, William and John O. Simpson. Postal affairs during the German occupation of the Channel Islands 1940-1945. Sidcup: Channel Islands Specialists' Society, 1957, 32p.
- Stanley Gibbons Channel Islands Specialised Catalogue of Stamps and Postal History. London: Stanley Gibbons, 1983 ISBN 0-85259-052-0, 451p.
- Wieneke, Michael. The German Field Post Office in the Channel Islands: communications of the military and of the civilian inhabitants through the German Field Post Service 1940-1945. Grouville, Jersey: The Channel Islands Occupation Society (Jersey Branch), 1981, 16p.
Alderney, Herm, Jethou & Sark
- Backman, Anders and Bob Forrester. The Channel Island of Jethou: its stamps and postal history. Stockholm: A. Backman, 1978
- Backman, Anders and Robert Forrester. The Smaller Channel Islands Catalogue. Stockholm: A. Backman, 1989
- Newell, Peter E. Stamps of Alderney: An Illustrated Priced Guide and Handbook. Brighton: Channel Islands & Lundy Auctions, 1988 ISBN 0-9482513-3-6
- Newport, William. The Island of Herm and its Posts. Sidcup: Channel Islands Specialists' Society, 1970
- Newport, William and Stanley Newman. Postal History & Stamps of Sark: An Illustrated Priced Guide and Handbook. Brighton: Channel Islands & Lundy Auctions, 1990 ISBN 0-9514363-1-7
- Guernsey Post
- Lions, Leopards, Unicorns & Dragons: The first "Regional" stamps The British Postal Museum & Archive
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guernsey.|
|This philatelic article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|