Postage stamps and postal history of Jordan
Jordan was part of the Turkish Empire until 1918 and a number of Turkish post offices existed in the area.
Stamps of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force were valid in Transjordan, Palestine, Cilicia, Syria, and Lebanon from 1918. In 1920, E.E.F. stamps overprinted "East of Jordan" in Arabic were issued for Transjordan.
Transjordan became part of the League of Nations mandate for the territories of Palestine in 1922. Postal service was set up after the establishment of the Emirate of Transjordan, and started taking over the postal service that was run by the Ottoman Empire. The first stamps for the Emirate were E.E.F. stamps overprinted with the inscription "Arab Government of the East" in Arabic. Further overprints were also made with the stamps of Hejaz. The first set of definitives bearing the image of Emir Abdullah was issued In 1927.
Transjordan remained a British mandate until 1946. On 25 May 1946, the Emirate became the "Hashemite Kingdom of Transjordan", achieving full independence on 17 June 1946. In 1949, it was renamed the "Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan".
Jordan provided the postal stamps for the West Bank (incl. East Jerusalem) between 1948 and 1967. Prior to the incorporation of the West Bank into Jordan in 1950, Jordanian stamps overprinted "Palestine" in Arabic and English were issued from 1948 until April 1950. After 1950, stamps of Jordan were used in the West Bank until it was occupied by Israel in 1967.
- Jordan Post Company
- Postage stamps and postal history of Palestine
- List of people on stamps of Jordan
- Stanley Gibbons Stamp Catalogue: Part 19 Middle East. 6th edition. London: Stanley Gibbons, 2005, pp.161-187. ISBN 0-85259-576-X
- Mayo, 1984, p. 24.
- Dorfman, 1989, p. 20.
- Dorfman, 1989, p. 23.
- http://web.archive.org/web/20171214170618/http://www.stampworldhistory.com:80/country-profiles-2/asia/jordan-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A3%D8%B1%D8%AF%D9%86/ Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- Zywietz, Tobias. "Jordanian Occupation: Definitives 1948" in A Short Introduction To The Philately Of Palestine.
- Najjar, Abed Habib. The Postal History of Jordan 1400-1959. Sahara Publications Limited., 2006. ISBN 1-903022-09-6
- Najjar, Abed Habib. The Stamps of Jordan 1920-1965. Sahara Publications Limited., 1998. ISBN 0-9532591-0-2
- Proud, Edward B. The Postal History of Palestine and TransJordan. Heathfield, Sussex: Proud-Bailey Co. Ltd., 2006. ISBN 1-872465-89-7
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stamps of Jordan.|
|This philatelic article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|