Postage stamps and postal history of the Pitcairn Islands
The postal history of the Pitcairn Islands can be traced to second half of the 19th century, when outgoing mail was hand stamped as "Posted on Pitcairn Island: no stamps available." Stamps were carried by passing ships and received postal stamps and cancellation at various ports of calls. However, this practice was discontinued in 1926 following reports of ship passengers mixing their own mail into the “no stamp” system set aside for the Pitcairn residents.
The New Zealand-based Pitcairn Islands Philatelic Bureau coordinates the territory’s stamp program. The program issues up to six commemorative stamps per year, and new definitive stamps are issued on an average cycle of five years. The sale of philatelic issues has been a source of revenue for the territory.
List of people on stamps of the Pitcairn Islands
Below is a partial list of people on stamps of the Pitcairn Islands arranged in alphabetical order:
- John Adams (1940)
- Thomas Adams (1969)
- Prince Andrew, Duke of York (1986)
- Princess Anne (1973)
- Captain William Bligh (1940)
- Charles, Prince of Wales (1981)
- Fletcher Christian (1940)
- Winston Churchill (1974)
- Diana, Princess of Wales (1981)
- Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex (1999)
- Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (1949)
- Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom (1952)
- George VI of the United Kingdom (1940)
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1971)
- Sarah, Duchess of York (1986)
- Sir Peter Scott (1992)
- Sophie, Countess of Wessex (1999)
- Chris Stewart (2009)
- John I. Tay (1986)
- George Washington (1976)
- Simon Young (1961)
- "Pitcairn's Postal Services". Pitcairn Islands Study Center, Pacific Union College. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Barth Healey (February 5, 1989). "Stamps: Big Issues From a Small Volcanic Island in the Pacific". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- "50th Anniversary of the first Pitcairn Islands Stamps". Pitcairn Islands Philatelic Bureau. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Vernon N. Kisling. "Pitcairn Islands Stamp Collecting: An Introduction". Pitcairns Island Study Group. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- "Pitcairn Philately". Pitcairn Islands Study Center, Pacific Union College. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- Foxwell, F.W. Pitcairn Islands, stamps and postal history. Taunton: The Author, 1967 70p.
- Kisling, Vernon N., Jr. The Pitcairn Islands Specialized Stamp Catalog. Greenville, ME.: Moosehead Communications, 2010 ISBN 1890454389, 240p.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stamps of the Pitcairn Islands.|
|This philatelic article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Pitcairn-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|