|Type||Distributed relational database management system|
Postgres-XL is a distributed relational database management system (RDBMS) software based on PostgreSQL. It aims to provide feature parity with PostgreSQL while distributing the workload over a cluster. The name "Postgres-XL" stands for "eXtensible Lattice".
Postgres-XL is based on Postgres-XC, an earlier distributed PostgreSQL system developed by NTT Data and EnterpriseDB. In 2012, the cloud database startup StormDB adopted Postgres-XC and developed some proprietary extensions and improvements to it. In 2013, StormDB was acquired by TransLattice, and the improved software was open-sourced under the name "Postgres-XL" in 2014. Since 2015, Postgres-XL development has also been supported by 2ndQuadrant.
Postgres-XL provides cluster-wide consistent transaction snapshots via a central Global Transaction Manager (GTM) node. It requires a fast interconnect between nodes, so Postgres-XL is not suited to geographically distributed clusters. Larger queries can be split and parallelized between multiple nodes. Individual database tables can be chosen to be fully replicated across the cluster (usually for smaller tables) or sharded between separate nodes (for write scalability).
- "Frequently Asked Questions - Postgres-XL". www.postgres-xl.org.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Postgres-XL. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "A Brief History of PostgreSQL: Postgres-XL". Postgres-XL documentation. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- Butler, Brandon (4 June 2014). "10 of the most useful cloud databases". Network World.
- Clark, Jack (10 October 2013). "TransLattice gobbles StormDB upstart for Postgres threesome". The Register.
- Harris, Derrick (9 October 2013). "Cloud database consolidation as TransLattice buys StormDB". Gigaom.
- Clark, Jack (13 May 2014). "'Behold my creation: Postgres-XL' bellows TransLattice". The Register.
- Harris, Derrick (13 May 2014). "Database vendor open sources Postgres-XL for scale-out workloads". Gigaom.
- "TransLattice Unveils Postgres-XL Open Source Database for OLTP and Big Data Analytics". Database Trends and Applications. 16 May 2014.
- Baker, Jason (13 May 2014). "Postgres-XL released to tackle big data analytics and more". Opensource.com.
- Riggs, Simon; Ciolli, Gianni; Krosing, Hannu; Bartolini, Gabriele (30 April 2015). PostgreSQL 9 Administration Cookbook - Second Edition. Packt Publishing Ltd. p. 418. ISBN 9781849519076.