This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||May 1, 2011|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Select cities in United States and Mexico|
|Bastian Lehman, Sean Plaice, Vivek Patel, Kristin Schaefer (Management Team); Nabeel Hyatt, Brian Singerman, Scott Banister(Board Members)|
|Products||Mobile app, website|
Launched in 2011, Postmates is one of many on-demand delivery companies in the United States providing delivery from restaurants and stores that previously did not offer goods delivery.
In December 2014, Postmates opened its application programming interface to merchants to allow small businesses to compete for delivery of consumer goods with larger companies such as Amazon. In the same month, the company announced that it had completed its millionth delivery and that it had over 6,000 drivers in its network.
In June 2015, Postmates announced that it had surpassed 2.5 million deliveries across 28 markets and expanded its fleet to 13,000 couriers.
In September 2015, Postmates updated the app, which added the ability to track delivery, gift meals to others, and the estimated delivery time.
In November 2017, Postmates launched service in Mexico City, its first location outside the US. 
In 2018, Postmates launched service in 134 new cities in the United States, bringing its total number of cities in the United States up to 550.
In January 2019, Postmates raised $100 million investment by BlackRock together with Spark Capital, Founders Fund, Uncork Capital, and Slow Ventures. The total valuation of the company reached $1.85 billion.
In May 2019, Postmates made a controversial decision to change its pay structure, removing the minimum guarantee. Many couriers have expressed dissatisfaction with this, and a strike has been organized by Working Washington, urging couriers to refuse jobs on Postmates on June 15, 2019.
- "Postmates confidentially files for IPO". reuters.com. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "BBC News - Location services: How GPS delivery is changing shopping". bbc.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "About Postmates". postmates.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- Lynley, Matthew. "Postmates To Roll Its Way Into London". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "Amazon Not as Unstoppable as It Might Appear". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "Will Postmates Dominate Same Day Delivery with Its Open API?". sRacked SF. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "Postmates, Powering On-Demand Logistics". blog.postmates.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "Postmates Is Launching An API To Let Third-Party Sellers Offer Local Delivery | TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "1 Million Deliveries Deep, Postmates Formally Launches An On-Demand API". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "We've Raised $80M, Led by Tiger Global Management". blog.postmates.com. Retrieved 2015-07-06.
- Dickey, Megan Rose (2015-09-21). "Postmates Unveils Revamped Platform, Announces 4 Million Deliveries". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- Dickey, Megan Rose (15 November 2017). "Postmates launches in first international city". Techcrunch.
- "Postmates launches food delivery in 134 additional US cities". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-10-18.
- "Postmates'Quest To Build The Delivery Robot Of The Future". WIRED. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "Postmates lines up another $100M ahead of IPO". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-01-11.
- "Postmates workers want minimum delivery guarantees and at least $15 per hour". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-04-21.