|Founded||May 1, 2011|
|Founders||Sam Street, Sean Plaice, and Bastian Lehmann|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Select U.S. cities & Mexico|
Postmates is a logistics company that operates a network of couriers who deliver goods locally.
Postmates is closely compared to other online delivery services such as Uber, Lyft, or Waiter.com because of its use of mobile phones to receive orders and dispatch delivery drivers. As of December 2014[update], Postmates operates in 18 U.S. cities. As of October 2015[update], their website lists more than 100 metropolitan areas.
Postmates is an example of an on-demand company. Postmates co-founder Bastian Lehmann calls the company anti-Amazon, saying "Amazon comes along and builds a warehouse outside a city. We like to say the city's our warehouse. We try to understand the inventory available, hacking the city, and having a fleet of delivery people that distribute these inventories."
In December 2014, Postmates opened its application programming interface to merchants to allow small businesses to compete for delivery of consumer goods with larger companies such as Amazon. In the same month, the company announced that it had completed its millionth delivery and that it had over 6,000 drivers in its network.
In June 2015, Postmates announced that they had surpassed 2.5 million deliveries across 28 markets and expanded their fleet to 13,000 couriers.
In September 2015, Postmates unveiled a revamped version of its app, dubbed Postmates 3.0, which features category discovery, delivery tracking, gifting and estimated delivery times.
In November 2017, Postmates launched service in Mexico City, their first location outside the US. 
- "Amazon Not as Unstoppable as It Might Appear". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "BBC News - Location services: How GPS delivery is changing shopping". bbc.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "About Postmates". postmates.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- Lynley, Matthew. "Postmates To Roll Its Way Into London". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "Will Postmates Dominate Same Day Delivery with Its Open API?". sRacked SF. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "Postmates, Powering On-Demand Logistics". blog.postmates.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "Postmates Is Launching An API To Let Third-Party Sellers Offer Local Delivery | TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "1 Million Deliveries Deep, Postmates Formally Launches An On-Demand API". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2015-02-11.
- "We've Raised $80M, Led by Tiger Global Management". blog.postmates.com. Retrieved 2015-07-06.
- Dickey, Megan Rose (2015-09-21). "Postmates Unveils Revamped Platform, Announces 4 Million Deliveries". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- Dickey, Megan Rose (15 November 2017). "Postmates launches in first international city". Techcrunch.