Poston Butte High School
|Poston Butte High School|
32375 North Gantzel Road
|Type||Public High School|
|School district||Florence Unified School District|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.71|
|Mascot||TUFF The Bronco|
Location and feeder schools
Poston Butte High School is located in San Tan Valley, an unincorporated area of Pinal County. San Tan Valley is serviced by three unified school districts: Florence, J. O. Combs, and Coolidge. Poston Butte is part of the Florence Unified School District. The district is geographically large and divided into two distinct areas: the greater Florence area and the more highly populated Hunt Highway corridor. PBHS is located in the Hunt Highway area and is 20.4 miles from Florence High School and the Florence USD district offices.
Five Florence USD elementary schools feed into Poston Butte High School: Circle Cross Ranch K-8, Skyline Ranch K-8, Walker Butte K-8, Copper Basin K-8, and Magma Ranch K-8.
Poston Butte High School does not employ textbooks. Instead, the school's one-to-one computing policy provides a laptop to each student in lieu of textbooks.
The first school to use one-to-one computing in Arizona was Empire High School, which started doing so in 2005. Florence district officials worked with Empire to implement a similar program at Poston Butte in 2009. After successful implementation at Poston Butte, it was expanded to Florence High School in 2010.
First graduating class
The first class graduated from Poston Butte on May 30, 2012. It had 253 students.
The Poston Butte High School Culinary Arts Center is home to the Florence Unified School District Culinary Arts Program. The program is available to students of both high schools through the Arizona Career and Technical Education (CTE) program. Since its inception, the Florence program has won the Pinal County High School Culinary Arts Competition each year.
Poston Butte High School offers the following band programs: marching band, concert band, two jazz bands, and multiple guitar classes.
- "Poston Butte High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 29, 2019.
- RioForma Media Group. "San Tan Valley Schools - Community Listings - San Tan Valley - Queen Creek". santanshopper.com. Archived from the original on 13 October 2009. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "Residents - Where is San Tan Valley". pinalcountyaz.gov. Archived from the original on 6 July 2009. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "Google Maps". Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-06-23. Retrieved 2012-06-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- http://www.fusdaz.org/OurDISTRICT/AboutUs/OnetoOneComputing/tabid/5114/Default[permanent dead link]
- https://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2009/08/27/20090827postonbutte0827.html Poston Butte high-school students go digital
- https://web.archive.org/web/20170208013916/http://santanvalleytoday.com/index.php?option%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D680%3Aflorence-high-school-says-goodbye-to-textbooks%26catid%3D78%3Aaugust-2010. Archived from the original on February 8, 2017. Retrieved July 1, 2012. Missing or empty
- http://www.trivalleycentral.com/articles/2012/06/07/florence_reminder_blade_tribune/schools_and_education/doc4fcfddf3d72e8566591920.txt[dead link]
- http://www.azed.gov/career-technical-education/files/2011/08/fy-2013-cte-program-list-with-options.pdf Archived 2012-10-17 at the Wayback Machine FY 2013 Program List
- http://santanvalleytoday.com/index.php?option%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D2216%253Abrophers-win-big-at-cte-competition%26catid%3D65%253Aeducation%26Itemid%3D145. Retrieved July 1, 2012. Missing or empty