Pot of Gold (Game song)
|"Pot of Gold"|
|Single by Game featuring Chris Brown|
|from the album The R.E.D. Album|
|Released||June 28, 2011|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Writer(s)||Jayceon Taylor, Christopher Brown, Sam Hook, Joe Khajadourian, Alex Schwartz|
|Game singles chronology|
"Pot of Gold" is a song by American rapper and West Coast hip hop artist Game featuring vocals from R&B singer Chris Brown, released on June 28, 2011 as the second single from Game's fourth studio album The R.E.D. Album. The artists co-wrote the song with its producers, The Futuristics, with extra writing from Sam Hook, who is signed to R&B singer Ne-Yo's Compound Entertainment label.
The song features a music sample of the song "Rocketship" performed by rock band Guster from their second album Goldfly (1997). "Pot of Gold" was originally leaked back in early April, 2011 but was then fully remastered to a new version. Unlike the album's first single, the controversial and less successful "Red Nation", "Pot of Gold" managed to attain some Billboard and worldwide chart success.
Although confirmed that the album's second official single would be "Bottles & Rockin' J's" which is produced by Lex Luger, and features DJ Khaled, Busta Rhymes, Rick Ross, Fabolous & Lil Wayne, it was later changed. Later on June 22, 2011 it was confirmed that the album's new second official single would be "Pot of Gold", in which it features guest vocal performance from R&B singer Chris Brown.
"Pot of Gold" was written by Game, Chris Brown and Sam Hook a songwriter signed to R&B singer Ne-Yo's Compound Entertainment record label, and it was produced by Los Angeles-based production/writing duo The Futuristics, noted for working with many recording artists including Chris Brown, Ne-Yo, Lady Gaga and Justin Timberlake, among others.
The song features a music sample of the song "Rocketship" performed by rock band Guster from their second album Goldfly (1997). "Pot of Gold" was originally leaked back in early April, 2011 but was then fully remastered to a new version.
Scott Shetler of PopCrush gave the song a positive review, saying it's "A sensitive, introspective message from Game" and "Instead, simple guitar strumming and a gentle beat carry the song, making it a likely candidate to cross over and connect with pop audiences". Dean Silfen of AOL Radio also gave the song a positive review, saying "The chemistry between Brown and Game make this track a true hit. Brown plays the sentimental one, making the listener sympathize with the song's message, while Game gives the song its street sensibility".
The video for the single was shot on June 28, 2011, filmed at an abandoned East Los Angeles residence, it is said that the Bryan Barber-directed clip is a retrospective of Game’s own life growing up in Compton, California. In one nostalgic scene, he raps in an attic with posters of Tupac Shakur & Snoop Dogg and N.W.A, reminiscing on simpler days. Chris Brown arrived later in the evening to shoot his scenes. The music video for the single was officially released on July 25, 2011.
Formats and track listings
- Digital download
- "Pot of Gold" featuring Chris Brown – 3:25
Credits and personnel
The credits for "Pot of Gold" are adapted from the liner notes of The R.E.D. Album.
- Recorded at: Pacifque Studios in North Hollywood, Los Angeles.
- Game – songwriting, vocals
- Chris Brown – vocals
- The Futuristics - producers
- Samuel Kalandjian – recording
- Fabian Marasciullo - mixing
- Brian "Big Bass" Gardner - mastering
- Ryan Miller - songwriting
- Adam Gardner - songwriting
- Brian Rosenworcel - songwriting
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||25|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||72|
|UK R&B (The Official Charts Company)||16|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||58|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||1|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||53|
Radio and release history
- Staff (2011-06-11). "Rap-Up TV: Game Talks Second Single & Nelly Furtado Collaboration". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
- Staff (2011-06-22). "Game ft. Chris Brown - Pot Of Gold". The Source. Retrieved 2011-06-23.
- Futuristics, The (2011-06-22). ""Pot of Gold" @thegame ft. @chrisbrown , written by @samhook and Produced By @TheFuturistics !!!!! Hitting the stations! #smash". Twitter. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- Staff (2011-06-27). "The Futuristics work info". Facebook. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- Staff (2011-06-27). "Leak: GAME – Pot of Gold ft Chris Brown". Solemag.com. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- Shetler, Scott (2011-06-23). "Single Review: Game's "Pot of Gold"". PopCrush. Retrieved 2011-06-23.
- Silfen, Dean (2011-06-28). "Single Review: Game's "Pot of Gold"". AOL Inc. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- Staff (2011-06-29). "First Look at Game's 'Pot of Gold' Video". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- Staff (2011-07-25). "Video: Game f/ Chris Brown – 'Pot of Gold'". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2011-07-25.
- "Pot of Gold - United States". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- (2011) Release notes for The R.E.D. Album by Game (liner notes). Interscope Records (0602527258119)
- "Ultratop.be – Game feat. Chris Brown – Pot of Gold" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- "Swisscharts.com – Game feat. Chris Brown – Pot of Gold". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official UK Singles Top 100 - 20th August 2011". The Official Charts Company. Archived from the original on 14 August 2011. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- "Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles - Issue Date: 2011-09-03" (requires registration). Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 28, 2011.
- "Game – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Game. Retrieved January 28, 2012.
- "Pot of Gold - WW-release". Music-Chart.Info. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2011-07-06.