|Cookbook: Potato salad Media: Potato salad|
Potato salad is a dish made from boiled potatoes and a variety of other ingredients. It is generally considered a side dish, as it usually accompanies the main course. Potato salad is widely believed to have originated in Germany. American potato salad most likely originated from recipes brought to the U.S. by way of German and European settlers during the nineteenth century. American-style potato salad is served cold or at room temperature. Ingredients often include mayonnaise or a mayonnaise-like substitute (such as yogurt or sour cream), herbs, and vegetables (such as onion and celery.) German-style potato salad is generally served warm and is typically made with vinegar or olive oil, herbs and bacon.
Europe and North America
German potato salad, or "Kartoffelsalat" is generally served warm and prepared with red potatoes, bacon, vinegar, salt, pepper, vegetable or olive oil, mustard, vegetable or beef broth, and onions. This style of potato salad is usually found in Southern Germany. Potato salad from northern Germany is generally made with mayonnaise and quite similar to its U.S. counterpart.
American potato salad most likely originated from recipes brought to the U.S. by way of German and European settlers during the nineteenth century. Print evidence confirms that recipes for potato salad were often included in 19th century American cooking texts. Basic ingredients for traditional American potato salad include cubed, boiled potatoes (typically russet potatoes), mayonnaise or a mayonnaise-like substitute such as yogurt or sour cream, yellow mustard and/or mustard powder (dry mustard), black pepper, salt, celery seed, sugar, dry dill, pickles (pickled cucumber), chives, red or white onion, green or red bell pepper, celery and sometimes chopped hard-boiled egg whites. Vegetable ingredients (not including the potatoes) are diced or chopped and incorporated raw. The salad is often topped with paprika and chives, and generally served cold or at room temperature.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Potato salads.|
- "» Potato Salad: History". www.guampedia.com. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Olver, Lynne. "The Food Timeline: history notes--salad".
- "American Potato Salad Recipe". kraftrecipes.com. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- "German Potato Salad Recipe". Taste of Home. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- chefbrad (6 July 2009). "Kartoffelsalat Recipe (German potato salad)".
- Von Juliane Stich. "Umfrage eines Onlineshops: Würstchen mit Kartoffelsalat sind beliebtestes Weihnachtsessen - Panorama - Aktuelle Nachrichten zum Thema Boulevard, TV, Prominente, Musik. - Augsburger Allgemeine" (in German). Augsburger-allgemeine.de. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- "German Potato Salad Recipe on Recidemia". Recidemia.com. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- "The Food Timeline: Potato Salad". /www.foodtimeline.org.
- "» History of Potato Salad". www.guampedia.com. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- "Traditional Potato Salad-Martha Stewart".
- "Potato Salad-Food Network".
- "Creamy Potato Salad-Betty Crocker".