|Place of origin||Germany|
|Main ingredients||Potatoes, mayonnaise|
Potato salad is a dish made from boiled potatoes and a variety of other ingredients. It is generally considered a side dish, as it usually accompanies the main course. Potato salad is widely believed to have originated in Germany from where it spread widely throughout Europe and later to European colonies. American potato salad most likely originated from recipes brought to the U.S. by way of German and European settlers during the nineteenth century. American-style potato salad is served cold or at room temperature. Ingredients often include mayonnaise or a mayonnaise-like substitute (such as yogurt or sour cream), herbs, and vegetables (such as onion and celery).
American potato salad most likely originated from recipes brought to the U.S. by German and European settlers during the nineteenth century. Print evidence confirms that recipes for potato salad were often included in 19th century American cookbooks.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Potato salads.|
- "» Potato Salad: History". www.guampedia.com. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- Olver, Lynne. "The Food Timeline: history notes--salad".
- "American Potato Salad Recipe". kraftrecipes.com. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "The Food Timeline: Potato Salad". /www.foodtimeline.org.
- "» History of Potato Salad". www.guampedia.com. Retrieved 6 March 2017.