Pothukallu (Pothukal) is located between Palunda and Munderi (9.0 km from Palunda in the Nilambur Taluk of Malappuram District). Pothukallu is well known for its greenery, hospitality of the natives, and availability of all basic amenities, including schools, hospitals, shopping centers etc. There is a police station, mosque, church, and temple at nearby locations.
Parliament const: Wayanad
MLA: Aryadan Muhammed
Nearest Cities: Edakkara, Chungathara
Area Telephone: 04931
Postal Code: 679334
Pothukal village is a predominantly Muslim populated area. Hindus exist in comparatively smaller numbers. So the culture of the locality is based upon Muslim traditions. Duff Muttu, Kolkali and Aravanamuttu are common folk arts of this locality. There are many libraries attached to mosques giving a rich source of Islamic studies. Most of the books are written in Arabi-Malayalam which is a version of the Malayalam language written in Arabic script. People gather in mosques for the evening prayer and continue to sit there after the prayers discussing social and cultural issues. Business and family issues are also sorted out during these evening meetings. The Hindu minority of this area keeps their rich traditions by celebrating various festivals in their temples. Hindu rituals are done here with a regular devotion like other parts of Kerala.
In November, 2016, three naxalites were killed near Karulai in an encounter with Kerala police. Naxalite leader Kappu Devaraj from Andhra Pradesh is included in the list of killed in the incident. Villages like Mundakkadavu, Kalkullam and Uchakkulam near Karulai are threatened by Naxalite attacks. Naxalites visit the locality regularly and ask for food and shelter from the tribals. The police are also combing the area regularly but have not arrested any naxalites. On 27 September 2016, there was firing between the Maoists and the Kerala police in this area and no one was injured in this incident.
Pothukal village connects to other parts of India through Nilambur town. State Highway No.28 starts from Nilambur and connects to Ooty, Mysore and Bangalore through Highways.12,29 and 181. National highway No.66 passes through Ramanattukara and the northern stretch connects to Goa and Mumbai. The southern stretch connects to Cochin and Trivandrum. State. The nearest airport is at Kozhikode. The nearest major railway station is at Feroke. Pothukallu is accessible by road from Nilambur Town. The distance is 18 km.
- Nilambur to Chungathara: 8 km
- Chungathara to Pothukal: 10 km
- Pothukal to Munderi: 8 km
Villages and Suburbs
- Chandakkunnu, Chungathara and Palunda
- Pathirippadam, Nallanthanny and Puthiyangadi
- Sulthanpadi, Chathamunda and Uppada
- Anakkallu, Paduanagar and Nhettikkulam
- Kunippala, Neerppuzhamukku and Munderi.
- Bhoodan colony, Panakayam
- Kunippala School
- Neerppuzha Mukku Srambia
- Sirajul Hudha Madharassa, Thamburattikkallu
- Dharmasastha Temple, Thamburattikkallu
- Munderi Pravasa Koottayma
- Farm Club, Bhoodhanam Colony, Pothukallu
- Assembly of God Church, Pothukal
- S.N.Guru Seva Mandir, Nhettikullam
- St.Mary's Catholic Church, Nallanthanny
- Chathamunda Masjidh, Chathamunda
- NSS School, Chathamunda
- St. Paul's Malankara Church, Uppada
- New Holy Bible College, Palunda
- A L P School, Boodan colony
- Post Office, Bhoodn colony
- Siva Temple, Santhigram
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Munderi (Malappuram).|