Poughkeepsie City School District

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Poughkeepsie City School District
Type and location
Type Public
Motto "Delivering on the promise of a high-quality education. Every child. Every day. Every classroom."
Grades Pre-K to 12[1]
Established 1843[1]
County Dutchess County
Country United States
Address 11 College Ave, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
Location Poughkeepsie, NY
District information
Superintendent Dr. Nicole Williams[2]
Budget $81,577,000 (08-09)[3]
Students and staff
Students 4,714[1]
Teachers 400
Staff 850
Colors Blue/White
Other information
Website www.poughkeepsieschools.org

Poughkeepsie City School District is located in Dutchess County, New York State. Approximately 75 miles[4] north of New York City, the school district is situated on the banks of the Hudson River in an area known as the Mid Hudson Valley.

The District is coterminous with the boundaries of the City of Poughkeepsie. is approximately 5 square miles[5] in size, and is composed of six elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, one community learning center (formerly an alternative school), and one administration building. The District provides educational programs for nearly 5,000 students. The school population is a diverse mix of African-American, Latino, Caucasian and Asian students.

There are approximately 850 professional and support staff members employed by the District, of whom over 400 are teaching staff. The district operates with a budget exceeding $80,000,000. Taxes and other local revenues account for approximately 40% of the budget, with the remaining 60% generated through State Formula Aid and Small City Aid.

Schools[edit]

High School

  • Poughkeepsie High School (9-12)[6]

Middle School

  • Poughkeepsie Middle School (6-8)[7]

Elementary Schools

  • Governor George Clinton School (1-5)[8]
  • G. W. Krieger School (1-5)[9]
  • S.F.B. Morse Young Child Magnet School (1-5)[10]
  • W. W. Smith Humanities Magnet School(Early Learning Center) (Pre-k - K)[11]
  • C. B. Warring Magnet Academy of Science & Technology (1-5)[12]

Other

  • Circle of Courage Learning Community (6-12)[13]

Closed

  • Christopher Columbus Elementary (1-5) - Closed June 2012

Board of Education[edit]

There are five at-large members on the Board of Education. Each member serves a three year term that begins on July 1 at the annual reorganization meeting. Board meetings are usually held the second and fourth Wednesdays of every month with the public portion of the meeting beginning at 7:30 p.m. The current members of the Board of Education[14] are:

  • Ralph Coates, President (Term Expires 2014)
  • Greg Charter, Vice President (Term Expires 2014)
  • Jacqueline Roman (Term Expires 2016)
  • Raymond Duncan (Term Expires 2015)
  • Randall Johnson (Term Expires 2015)

Superintendents[edit]

  • 2000-2006: Robert C. Watson, Sr.
  • 2006-2013: Dr. Laval S. Wilson
  • 2013-Present: Dr. Nicole Williams

Assistant Superintendents[edit]

  • Dr. Ronel Cook, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources
  • Dr. Lynne Pampel, Assistant Superintendent for Pupil Personnel
  • Kevin Sheldon, Assistant Superintendent for Business

Area Colleges and Universities[edit]

References[edit]

External links[edit]

Other Online Sources of Information About The Poughkeepsie City School District