|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Civil parish||Santa Isabel|
Povoação Velha (Cape Verde Creole: Povoason Bédja) is a village in the southwestern part of the island of Boa Vista, Cape Verde. The village is around 16 km south of the island capital of Sal Rei.
Povoação Velha is situated at the foot of 348 m high Rocha Estância, just next of the village forms a part of its natural monument. Southwest is Ribeira Baixa which flows south to the Atlantic, there, the sandy beach Praia de Santa Mónica stretches south of the village. Landmarks include the Chapel of Santo António (Saint Anthony) built in 1800, the church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição built in 1828 and Praceta de Santo António in the center. There is a health center in the village and a youth center.
About 15 km towards the east, on the south coast of the island, is the deserted village Curral Velho. To the west are Varandinha and Mónica beaches. Tourists used four wheel motorcycles, the ATVs nearby, it infuriated farmers and revolted by protesters on February 9, 2010.
The community is the oldest settlement (hence the name, the first name was Povoação da Boa Vista) in the island dating back to the late 16th century, its population used to be 1,500, for many times in the early decades, it was the island's only settlement. Until 1810, it served as an island capital. The capital was moved to Rabil for its paper production and later Sal Rei for its exploration and the production of salt. The 2010 census recorded 309 inhabitants.
Hurricane Fred struck Boa Vista island in 2015 and affected even the village damaging 50 houses and nearly totalled 70%, predominantly minimal, damages costed CV$3 million escudos (2015 value; US$30,000).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Povoação Velha.|
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 17 March 2014.
- Official Bulletin of the Republic of Cape Verde, Series I, no. 23, 6 June 1999 (Portuguese), accessed on 2 February 2017
- Cape Verde Islands pocket guide, Emma Gregg, Berlitz, 2009
- Boa Vista Island at SDTIBM (Portuguese)
- A semana, December 12, 2008
- Proposta de Plano de Gestão de Zonas Húmidas - Boavista/ Cabo Verde, p. 59-63, Ministério do Ambiente e Agricultura, http://www.sia.cv (Portuguese)
- Arquipélagos arquipelagos.pt, accessed on 3 February 2017
- Cape Verde: Island of Boa Vista at capeverde.com
- Ministério da Saúde de Cabo Verde, Relatório Estatístico, 2005, Cape Verdean Ministry of Health, 2006, accessed on 2 February 2017
- "«Boa Vista: CEJ da Povoação Velha reabriu este fim de semana - Primeiro diário caboverdiano em linha". A Semana (in Portuguese). 2006. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "Agricultores de Povoação Velha na ilha da Boavista revoltados com a actividade dos Motos4" [Farmers from Povoação Velha Protest the use of ATVs on Boa Vista Island] (in Portuguese). RTC. 9 February 2010. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- Boletim da Sociedade de Geographia de Lisboa, Volume 6, 1886
- Fonseca, Sanny (2015-09-04). "Boa Vista: Hurricane Fred damaged around 50 houses in Povoação Velha". A Semana. Retrieved 2015-09-09.
- "Boa Vista: Recuperação de habitações de povoações velha danificadas pelo furacão Fred orçada em 3 mil contos" (Video) (in Portuguese). Praia, Cape Verde: Radiotelevisão Caboverdiana. 2015-09-19. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "SAPO Viajar Cabo Verde - Festas de Povoação Velha" (in Portuguese). 22 January 2012. Archived from the original on 22 January 2012. Retrieved 2 February 2017.