Powell High School (Tennessee)
|Powell High School|
|2136 W. Emory Road
Powell, Tennessee, (Knox County) 37849
|Motto||Pride. Honor. Success.
|School district||Knox County Schools|
|NCES School ID||470222000755|
|Principal||Dr. Chad Smith|
|Number of students||1409|
|Color(s)||Orange & Black|
The first high school in Powell was established in 1874 and was called Perkins High School. In 1916, it was renamed for Columbus Powell, the prominent person for whom the Powell Railroad Depot had been named earlier. The current school was established in 1948. Its most recent renovation was completed in 1985.
The school has a total of 45 classrooms along with a football stadium, field and track, softball field, baseball field, football practice field, basketball gymnasium, and the Powell High Sports Complex. Due to the recent rezoning in the Knox County School system the school is now over-capacity and has 11 teachers without classrooms.
Powell High School athletic teams are members of and are sanctioned by the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association.
The 2008-2009 & 2010-2011 Powell Baseball team finished in first place in the Tennessee AAA District 3.
Student Driver Awareness Campaign
Beginning in 2009, the Powell High School Teen Driver Awareness Program has existed to raise awareness of the unusually high rate of teenaged automobile fatalities of current and recently graduated students of Powell High School. The program seeks to educate students to the need for seatbelt use, occasionally rewarding students caught using their seat belts on campus with gift certificates to local merchants. The Rural Metro Fire Department, Knox County Sheriffs Office and the Knoxville Volunteer Rescue Squad stage an annual demonstration of the potential effects of a fatal vehicle accident, utilizing students from the Powell High School Drama Department as mock victims. In the four years of the program, teen driver fatalities at the school are down 75%.
- John Bruhin - NFL player
- John Cooper - ESPN college football analyst and member of the College Football Hall of Fame
- Daryle Smith - NFL player
- Lee Smith - NFL player
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Gibbs High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Sep 9, 2013.
- Robert J. Booker, Sources good for schools' history, Knoxville News Sentinel, January 17, 2006.
- "Powell High Faculty & Staff". Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL DATABASE". Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "Columbia Central vs. Powell". Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "AAA District 3 Baseball Standings". Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "Powell BPA, Rural/Metro emphasize safety in annual Teen Safe Driver Week". The Knoxville Focus. 2012-04-22. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "Rural/Metro Teen Driver Awareness Program". Rural/Metro Corporation. Retrieved 2013-09-09.