||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for products and services. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Release||September 30, 1996|
Power Chess is a chess-playing video game originally released in September 1996 by Sierra Entertainment for the Microsoft Windows 95 operating system. Later revisions of the software were released as "Power Chess '98" and "Power Chess 2.0".
Similar to most other chess programs, Power Chess provides tutorials designed to help new players, while analyzing gameplay to improve one's strategy. Advice is given by the game's Queen, who walks the player through the move sequence and points out any mistakes made. One of the features that made the program stand out is the fact that the queen's advice is given orally, in natural language, making it easier for beginners to follow the analysis. The player can play ranked matches by challenging the game's King. A rating is assigned depending on play style and whether the player won, lost or drew the game. Players can also create their own characters with differing gameplay styles and difficulty.
The voice of the Power Chess Queen was voiced in English and French by voiceover artist Natacha LaFerriere.
A collection of famous games is included for review and study, each one narrated turn-by-turn by the Queen. The games include:
- The Evergreen Game, Adolf Anderssen vs. Jean Dufresne (1852)
- The Opera Game, Paul Morphy vs. Duke Karl of Brunswick and Count Isouard (1858)
- Wilhelm Steinitz vs. Curt von Bardeleben (1895)
- Ruger vs. Gebhard (1915)
- Vasily Smyslov vs. Bobby Fischer (1970)
- Wchess vs. Deep Blue (1995)
- Deep Blue vs. Garry Kasparov, Game 1 (1996)
- Dulin, Ron (1996-11-15). "Power Chess Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "Power Chess 98 | Natacha LaFerriere". www.natlaf.com. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
|This video board game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This chess-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|