Power Metal (album)
|Studio album by Pantera|
|Genre||Heavy metal, hard rock|
|Producer||Pantera, Marc Ferrari, Jerry Abbott|
|Singles from Power Metal|
Power Metal is the fourth studio album by heavy metal band Pantera, released in May 1988 through Metal Magic Records. It is the first Pantera album to feature Phil Anselmo on vocals, as part of a line-up which would last until the band's official split in 2003.
The album showcases a more aggressive style which sounds, at times, closer to thrash metal (particularly on "Death Trap") rather than the glam metal style heard on the band's earlier albums; however, traces of glam are still clearly present. Notably, Phil Anselmo makes his first appearance on vocals, having replaced Terry Glaze. Guitarist Dimebag Darrell (then credited as "Diamond Darrell") also performs vocals on "P*S*T*88".
"Proud to Be Loud" was written and produced by Keel guitarist Marc Ferrari and was originally intended to appear on their 1987 self-titled album; however, Keel would not record their own version until 1998. Pantera's version was used as the party song in the theatrical cut of the 2001 film Donnie Darko, credited to "The Dead Green Mummies". The song also appears on "Trail to Doomsday", a MacGyver TV movie from 1994, as well as the film The Mighty Ducks 2 from the same year. Terry Glaze co-wrote "Down Below", with an earlier recording of the song appearing on Pantera's third album I Am the Night (1985).
Having not been reissued since its original release on CD, vinyl and cassette, like their previous albums, official non-bootlegged editions of Power Metal have become collectors items, with any that exist often being circulated through online auction websites such as eBay.
All songs written and composed by Pantera except where noted.
|1.||"Rock the World"||3:34|
|3.||"We'll Meet Again"||3:54|
|4.||"Over and Out"||5:06|
|5.||"Proud to Be Loud" (Marc Ferrari)||4:02|
|6.||"Down Below" (Diamond Darrell, Terry Glaze, Vinnie Paul, Rex Rocker)||2:49|
|10.||"P*S*T*88" (Darrell, Paul, Rocker)||2:51|
- Phil Anselmo – lead vocals (except track 10), background vocals, production
- Diamond Darrell – guitar, lead vocals (track 10), background vocals, production
- Vinnie Paul – drums, background vocals, production
- Rex Rocker – bass, tubular bells, background vocals, production
- Marc Ferrari – guitar (tracks 3, 5), background vocals, production
- Jerry Abbott – production
- Strong, Martin C. The Great Rock Discography. Random House. New York, 1998, p. 608
- Torreano, Bradley. "Power Metal - Pantera". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- "Keel / Cold Sweat / Medicine Wheel guitarist Marc Ferrari". Full in Bloom Music. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- Donnie Darko (2001) - "Crazy Credits". IMDb. Retrieved 2013-10-17.