Power Rangers Operation Overdrive
|Power Rangers Operation Overdrive|
|Directed by||Mark Beesley
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||32 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Bruce Kalish
|Location(s)||New Zealand and Japan|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||BVS Entertainment
Renaissance Atlantic Entertainment
Toei Company, Ltd.
Ranger Productions, Ltd.
|Original channel||Toon Disney (Jetix)
ABC (ABC Kids) (reruns)
|Original release||February 26, 2007– November 12, 2007|
|Preceded by||Power Rangers Mystic Force|
|Followed by||Power Rangers Jungle Fury|
Power Rangers Operation Overdrive is the fifteenth season and anniversary of the American television franchise Power Rangers. It uses footage and other material from the Super Sentai series GoGo Sentai Boukenger, which was also the thirtieth entry and anniversary of that franchise. It premiered on February 26, 2007. Operation Overdrive is broadcast on Toon Disney's Jetix programming block and ABC Kids in the United States, and on stand-alone Jetix networks in other countries. The program is a co-production between The Walt Disney Company and Toei. It was also broadcast on terrestrial network ITV in the UK.
Unique among Power Ranger series, Operation Overdrive has the Rangers exploring, operating and fighting in many different countries around the world, rather than focusing only on their home city of San Angeles. In search of their objective, the Rangers have been to Atlantis, unnamed islands in the Atlantic and Pacific, Saint Lucia, Istanbul, London, Portugal, Indonesia, Norway, Mexico, Egypt, Florida, Greece and Japan. To specifically battle villainous attacks, they have visited Rotuma Island, Australia, Brazil, and Stonehenge.
The early working title for the series was Power Rangers Drive Force, but was later changed to "Relic Hunters" and then "Operation Overdrive"
In early pre-production, on July 26, 2006, the series' logo was posted on a fan message board called "Fuñaroboard."  This same logo was later featured on the Disney website, RangerSecrets.com, as part of the preview for the series. The logo is very similar to that of the parent series Boukenger in the basic design and format.
On November 14, 2006, Disney had set up its official website for Power Rangers Operation Overdrive.
Five brave, skilled, and adventurous young people are chosen to search for several magical jewels that were long ago taken from the Corona Aurora (literally "Crown of the Dawn"), so as to prevent them from coming into the possession of Moltor and Flurious, who are brothers connected to ice and fire banished long ago by the Corona's guardian for having attempted to steal it. When the billionaire explorer Andrew Hartford discovered the Corona Aurora, they escaped their exile and rallied their allies. In response, Andrew Hartford selected the talented youths and modified their DNA so as to grant them exceptional physical powers by which to combat the evil. Although Moltor and Flurious initially attempted to work together, they soon became rivals. The Corona Aurora fell into Moltor's hands; yet without its jewels, it could not grant the owner universal power. Later, the evil warriors Kamdor and Miratrix began hunting for the jewels, as did the extraterrestrial 'Fearcats'. Now the Rangers, joined by a Mercurian named Tyzonn who joined their ranks as the Mercury Ranger, are forced to fight multiple villains and travel worldwide in the effort to capture the jewels before their enemies can.
In order to accomplish this purpose, the members of Operation Overdrive are equipped with futuristic technology similar to that featured in previous Power Ranger continuities, which improves in sophistication and power with successive episodes. Each time a new Ranger, new weapon, or (in one subplot, if not more) new reason for battle is introduced, that Ranger, weapon, or reason produces the decimation of one major enemy (such as Kamdor and Miratrix) or a host of foot soldiers. Thereafter the odds resume their former state. The physical powers granted by genetic modification are seldom used, seen, or mentioned, except when one or more Rangers is rescued by their use. Throughout the series, legends are included or invented to give a feeling of antiquity: these include Thor's Hammer, Atlantis, and Poseidon, who is mentioned under the Roman name Neptune.
- James Maclurcan as Mackenzie "Mack" Hartford, The Red Overdrive Ranger and team leader.
- Caitlin Murphy as Veronica "Ronny" Robinson, The Yellow Overdrive Ranger.
- Samuell Benta as William "Will" Aston, The Black Overdrive Ranger.
- Rhoda Montemayor as Rose Ortiz, The Pink Overdrive Ranger.
- Gareth Yuen as Dax Lo, The Blue Overdrive Ranger.
- Dwayne Cameron as Tyzonn: The Mercury Ranger.
- Rod Louisch as Andrew Hartford, the rangers mentor and Mack's father
- David Weatherley as Spencer
- Nic Sampson as the voice of the Sentinel Knight
- Beth Allen as Vella
- Veteran Rangers:
- Johnny Yong Bosch as Adam Park, the second Black Ranger, and previously the Black Ninja Ranger, Zeo Ranger IV, Green and the first Green Turbo Ranger.
- Sally Martin as Tori Hanson, the Blue Wind Ranger.
- Emma Lahana as Kira Ford, the Yellow Dino Thunder Ranger.
- Matt Austin as Bridge Carson, the third S.P.D. Red Ranger, following a promotion at S.P.D.
- Richard Brancatisano as Xander Bly, the Green Mystic Force Ranger.
- Kelson Henderson as Norg and the voice of Mig
- David Weatherley as the voice of Benglo
- Gerald Urquhart as Flurious
- Ria Vandervis as Miratrix
- Mark Ferguson as the voice of Moltor
- Adam Gardiner as the voice of Kamdor
- James Gaylyn as the voice of Cheetar
- Lori Dungey as the voice of Crazar
- Glen Levy as the voice of Thrax
Both the Rangers and villains travel the world in search of the Corona jewels. To aide them, they must uncover special relics that serve as clues that lead to the lost jewels.
- Corona Aurora: The Corona Aurora is a crown, resembling that worn in medieval Europe, but claimed to be of divine origin. It is also commonly called The Crown of the Gods. To prevent its capture by those of negative interest, the Sentinel Knight scattered the crown's jewels across Earth. At the opening of the film series, the crown was in Andrew's possession, from which was stolen by Moltor. Following the destruction of Moltor's lair, ownership of the crown passed to Flurious, who then added one jewel to it. After stealing the remaining four jewels from the Rangers, Flurious completed the Corona Aurora. Flurious used its power to battle the Rangers, but was destroyed by Mack. The Sentinel Knight, now fully restored to his original physical form, later appeared with the Corona and used it to revive Mack and transform him into a human.
- Neptune's Cocoon: This was found sealed within an altar in an Atlantian temple deep in the ocean. The rangers opened the cocoon, believing it to contain one of the gems belonging to the Corona Aurora, finding instead one of the "Scrolls of Neptune".
- Scrolls of Neptune: The first of these three scrolls was inside the cocoon of Neptune. Rose solved its puzzle by making a picture of the sword of Neptune. When the Rangers assembled correctly all three scrolls, the scrolls transformed into the sword.
- Sword of Neptune: When the three Neptune Scrolls were laid end to end, they became a blade called the Sword of Neptune. It was initially missing a jewel from its hilt. Upon its formation, it flew out of Rose's hands and pierced the island of Saint Lucia on a map, pointing the Rangers to the location of the pearl that fit its hilt. The pearl had been a lucky charm for the ghost Brownbeard (a play on Blackbeard) until he, wishing to repay the Rangers for the gift to him of a gem called the "Eye of the Sea", gave it to Rose (whose friend he had become).
- Eye of the Sea: Jewel discovered on the island of Saint Lucia. Believed to be the first jewel of the Corona Aurora, but was proven not to be. The Rangers traded it to Brownbeard for his Lucky Pearl.
- Dragon Scale: The scale of the dragon Fire Heart purchased by Andrew Hartford from Toby Slambrook (owner of the Rock Porium in Briarwood, featured in Power Rangers Mystic Force) to empower the Defender Vest.
- Hou-ou Bird: A golden statue of a Japanese Phoenix, located in Istanbul. When directed at the sun at the perfect angle, it came to life and led Miratrix to the next clue to what is believed to be the Toru Diamond.
- Ancient Parchment: Before the Hou-ou Bird disappeared, it left behind a parchment that Miratrix and Kamdor retrieved, and which led to the next jewel of the Corona. However, they could not figure out what the ancient symbols meant, and soon lost the parchment to the Rangers. Moltor released a monstrous Tyzonn to successfully retrieve the parchment, though Tyzonn's resignation from Moltor's army again put the item in the hands of the Rangers. Tyzonn decoded it by pouring lemonade (containing citrus) to lead the Rangers to the second jewel of the Corona Aurora.
- Yanomami Statue: A mysterious, bronze-colored statue excavated in the Brazilian Rain Forest and given to the Rangers by the leader of an excavation team as a reward for the rescue thereof. When given to the Rangers, it gave off a jewel signature, suggesting that it had been exposed to a jewel of the Corona Aurora. The statue itself resembled a man holding a hammer and cannon in each of its hands. The face looked like the Face on Mars, which Rose discovered had once pointed to a location in Mexico where the next artifact could be found.
- Cannon of Ki Amuk: A legendary blaster that was unearthed from under a mountain by the Fearcats, only to be claimed by Tyzonn and the Flash Point Megazord. It exhibits the same jewel signature as the Yanomami Statue. By loading Mjolnir into the cannon's barrel, the Rangers and Thor, the God of Thunder, were able to recover the next artifact, which was encased in hard rock.
- Mjöllnir: The legendary hammer of Thor, the Norse God of Thunder. The Rangers raced Moltor in an effort to retrieve the treasure while in Norway; although Moltor obtained it first, the Rangers were able to take it from him. The hammer had the ability to increase an item to incredible size when used, and also had a connection to the Cannon of Ki Amuk. Neither the hammer nor the cannon was powerful enough to destroy the rock which encased the next artifact on the Rangers' quest; but by combining the two weapons, the Rangers successfully recovered it. The artifact was immediately stolen by Moltor. Unlike the mythistorical Mjolnir, this version produces blasts of sheer force (colored yellow) when brandished by Thor and directed at an enemy.
- Piedra Aztec del Compás: The combination of the Cannon of Ki Amuk and Mjolnir was powerful enough to destroy the stone in which this ancient compass was entombed. After the Rangers discovered it, Moltor intercepted the Rangers and stole the artifact. He gave the compass to one of his minions, who was able to use its power to manipulate Qi and Li energies in order to cause Mack nothing but bad luck. Mack overcame the influence of the compass and in turn used it against the monster, allowing it to be destroyed. The Rangers then used the compass to lead them to the location of the third jewel of the Corona.
- Super Armor: Moltor gave the Fearcats a map to find powerful samurai armor that would make them invincible in exchange for their promise to destroy the Rangers. The Fearcats used the armor on their new giant robot and quickly proved to be too strong for the DriveMax and Flash Point Megazords. The Rangers implemented several Megazord formations, attempting to overpower the Fearcats, finally ripping the armor off of the robot using the DriveMax Megazord Crane Formation. The Rangers took the armor and were then able to easily destroy the Fearcats' robot.
- Excelsior: A sword belonging to the Goddess of War. Thrax sought it out as it was the only weapon cabable of destroying the Sentinel Knight. Mack found the sword first, but in doing so led Thrax to it. After failing to remove it from the statue of the Goddess, Thrax fled to continue his destruction of the world. The Rangers attempted to retrieve the sword themselves, but could not and chose to leave. Mack stayed behind, inspiring the others to do the same and causing the statue to awaken and grant the Rangers ownership of the sword. Mack gave the sword to the Sentinel Knight, restoring his powers and returning him to his true form. From then on, the Sentinel Knight could transform into this sword, and could be wielded by either Mack or DriveMax Megazord.
- Centurion Torch: The Fearcats sought the Centurian Torch, hoping to harness its power to set the world on fire. They found the torch and used it to empower their new robot, with which they fought the Rangers. The robot was destroyed by the DriveMax Ultrazord, allowing the Rangers to take possession of the torch.
- Golden Scarab Beetle: Andrew discovered a compartment in the torch that held a rare golden scarab encased in amber, leading the Rangers to Egypt, where they found that the scarabs are rumored to be found deep underneath the desert sand.
- Tablet: While in Egypt's deserts searching for the source of the signals they were receiving, the Rangers encountered Kamdor and Miratrix in an underground chamber, and fought the two for a hieroglyphic-covered tablet they were trying to take. The Rangers successfully managed to get the tablet from them after a short fight, and teleported it back to their base.
- Octavian Chalice: The Fearcats managed to find this artifact after an extended search for it, during which they distracted the Rangers with the help of a third Fearcat who was previously thought to be dead. The Chalice acts as a receptacle that synthesizes the energy of other relics. After losing in battle against the Rangers, the Fearcats stated that the Chalice had more than one use. The Rangers then destroyed the Fearcats and took possession of it so they could decipher its other uses. The Chalice led the Rangers to Greece, where they invoked it in a ceremony to give guidance in finding the last jewel. Miratrix interrupted them and used the power of the Chalice to turn into a supernaturally powerful, bird-like monster form.
- Sands of Scylla, Minerva's Staff, and the Root of Heisker: Three relics retrieved by Flurious, Moltor, Kamdor, and Miratrix, but all stolen by the Fearcats. Once placed inside the Octavian Chalice, the energy of these three items was merged to create the legendary beast Agrios.
- Golden Plate: After Miratrix's separation from the Octavian Chalice, the Chalice answered the Rangers' question, finding the final jewel by turning into a Golden Plate, the discovery of which sent them back to Egypt. There they found an Anubis statue, which when the plate was placed in its hands, opened a secret passage to a sealed stone sarcophagus which held a golden coin. The Rangers attempted to open it, but discovered that they needed a key to do so.
- Tri-Dragon Key: The Rangers traced the key needed to open the sarcophagus to Japan, where they were met by Moltor and one of his minions. After engaging in battle, Moltor approached the key and tried to take it. The key burrowed into the Earth and out of sight. Both the Rangers and Moltor tracked it to a waterfall, where they again engaged in battle. The key emerged from the water and moved toward Moltor, but was intercepted by the Black Ranger, allowing the Rangers to return to Egypt and open the sarcophagus.
- Golden Medallion: When the Rangers opened the sealed sarcophagus, they found nothing but the coin inside. When they presented it to Andrew, he recognized it as matching an indentation on the sarcophagus of a mummy which he had been given as a gift years earlier. When the coin was placed in the indentation and came into close contact with the three Corona Jewels in the Rangers' possession, it brought the mummy to life. The mummy gave the Rangers' the fifth jewel of the Corona before it was blasted by an army of invading Chillers.
- Compass of Keats: A treasure only featured in Power Rangers: Super Legends. The Overdrive Rangers use it to detect errant time crystals.
- Brownbeard's Pearl: When the Eye of the Sea did not fit on the hilt of the Sword of Neptune, the Rangers gave it to Brownbeard. In exchange, he gave them his lucky pearl, which fit the sword and was therefore revealed as the first jewel to the Corona Aurora. The gem's original form is the black Corona jewel.
- Toru Diamond: The ancient parchment revealed the location of the second jewel within a volcano. Mack and Tyzonn flew into the volcano using the Sonic Streaker. Tyzonn's scales protected him from the heat of the lava, allowing him to descend on a rope and retrieve the diamond. The power of the two jewels was enough to transform Tyzonn into his Mercurian form. The gem's original form is the yellow Corona jewel.
- Blue Sapphire: An ancient compass showed the Rangers the way to the third jewel, which was hidden underwater, whence Will, Dax, and Ronny retrieved it. Will was given the duty of delivering it to Hartford, but was attacked by Miratrix and Kamdor, and the Sapphire was stolen. To keep the Rangers busy while he searched for the final jewel, Kamdor used the gem's power to create a meteorite that nearly destroyed Earth. While Kamdor was battling the Rangers, Norg discovered the Sapphire in the Ninjas' lair and then presented it to Flurious. Flurious then used the Sapphire's power to destroy Moltor's lair. The gem's original form is the blue Corona jewel.
- Star of Isis: The Egyptian tablet's hieroglyphics translated into a code that led straight to the fourth jewel, hidden in the Floridan Everglades. By sneaking a computer virus into the Rangers' base, Kamdor and Miratrix were able to get to the location first; the Rangers nevertheless arrived, and the two groups battled fiercely for possession of the jewel, resulting in Mack's having to become the Red Sentinel Ranger in order to successfully defeat their enemies. Kamdor and Miratrix attempted to leave with the jewel in hand, but Ronny was able to use her superhuman speed to snatch it from Kamdor's hands right as they were leaving. The gem's original form is the red Corona jewel.
- Pink Emerald: The fifth jewel was given to the Rangers by the mummy before the creature vanished. The jewel was kept inside of a special box, which blocked the jewel signature from being detected by the Rangers' trackers. The gem's original form is the pink Corona jewel.
- "Rangersecrets.com". Retrieved 2007-02-09.
- The working titles for the series were "Power Rangers Relic Hunters" and "Power Rangers Drive Force". http://powerrangersrelichunters.com was registered by Disney in early 2005. In June 2006, "Power Rangers Operation Overdrive" was listed in an official press release.
- "Power Rangers Operation Overdrive (LOGO INSIDE!)". Retrieved 2006-07-26.[dead link] (The original post featuring the logo.)
- "RangerSecrets.com". Retrieved 2006-11-04.
- "Home — Power Rangers Operation Overdrive — JETIX". Retrieved 2006-11-15.
- "DVD review: Power Rangers Operation Overdrive". BBC. July 14, 2008.
- "Rod Lousich Details". Retrieved 2007-02-11.
- Power Rangers Operation Overdrive - Blue Sapphire Volume 3
- Power Rangers Operation Overdrive at the Internet Movie Database