Powerball (video game)
Wrestleball[a] is a 1991 competitive sports video game developed and published for the Sega Genesis by Namco. It was re-released for the Wii's Virtual Console in Japan on February 19, 2008, and in North America on March 24, 2008, at a cost of 800 Wii Points. This version is virtually identical to the original version. An enhanced remake of it was remade for Namco Anthology 1 for the PlayStation exclusive to Japan.
The game contains elements of American football, Association football, and Rugby. Two teams square off against each other with the goal of either kicking a powerball against a backstop or running the ball into the endzone. Kicked goals are worth one point and touchdowns are worth three.
The game begins with a scramble, as the ball is dropped at the center between five players from each side. Players advance the ball toward their opponent's goal by running with it, throwing it, or kicking it. Players on offense or defense are allowed to execute any number of wrestling-type moves in order to obstruct or even knock out opponents. The goal is defended by a goal keeper who is generally faster, stronger and more durable than other player types.
Players can initially choose between eight teams representing Korea, Brazil, Greece, the United States, the USSR, the United Kingdom, China, and Japan.
- "King's Knight and Powerball Now Available on Wii Shop Channel!". Nintendo of America. 24 March 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- M. Thomas, Lucas (10 April 2008). "Powerball Review". IGN. Archived from the original on 29 April 2019. Retrieved 15 December 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Nintendo Life Staff (25 March 2008). "Powerball Review (MD)". NintendoLife. Archived from the original on 29 April 2019. Retrieved 15 December 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Stefano; Max; M.A. (April 1991). "Zzap Test - Wrestleball" (in Italian) (55). Zzap!64. pp. 60–61. Retrieved 15 December 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "MEGA DRIVE CROSS REVIEW - レッスルボール" (in Japanese). Beep! MegaDrive. March 1991. p. 34. Archived from the original on 15 December 2019. Retrieved 15 December 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Horowitz, Ken (15 January 2014). "Powerball". Sega-16. Archived from the original on 13 August 2018. Retrieved 15 December 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)