This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Powerwolf live 2016
|Labels||Metal Blade, Napalm Records|
Falk Maria Schlegel
Roel van Helden
Powerwolf is a German power metal band created in 2003 by Charles and Matthew Greywolf. The group is notable for having dark themes and images, both musically and lyrically, both counteractions to traditional power metal music and including usage of corpse paint, gothic-tinged compositions and songs about Transylvanian werewolf and vampire legends and dark religious tales.
When the band was founded, the members decided to take on pseudonyms and build up backstories around those. Officially, the brothers Charles and Matthew Greywolf had been playing together for years, when they decided to create a band, and so Powerwolf was started. Soon the brothers added French drummer Stéfane Funèbre and German keyboardist Falk Maria Schlegel to the band, but could not find a suitable singer to complete the line-up. In the meantime, the band started writing, and on holidays in Romania, Charles and Matthew met Attila Dorn. Dorn, who studied classical opera at the Music Academy of Bucharest, moved to the band's hometown Saarbrücken, and became the frontman of Powerwolf. With Dorn's love of Romanian werewolf legends, the band created their debut album, Return in Bloodred, which used these same legends as the basis for many of the lyrics. In 2007, they followed up with their second album, Lupus Dei, a concept album starring a wolf as the main character and his rise from bloodlust to enlightenment.
Powerwolf's third album Bible of the Beast was released on April 25, 2009.
In 2010, Powerwolf organist Falk Maria Schlegel stated about the group's new material: "We spent the last three months in the rehearsal room working out stuff for the new album. Even though it's still in the making, we can already promise the songs are 100% POWERWOLF, taking off where Bible of the Beast ended. There's furious stuff, there's epic stuff — and all of it is catchy as hell."
Their fourth album, titled Blood of the Saints, was released on July 29, 2011 in Europe and August 2 in the United States.
In 2012, Powerwolf released two albums. The first was the Wolfsnaechte Tour EP, a split EP with Mystic Prophecy, Stormwarrior, and Lonewolf. This EP featured a previously unreleased Powerwolf track, "Living on a Nightmare". Copies of this EP were originally distributed along with the purchase of tickets to Powerwolf's Wolfsnaechte Tour but since the tour's conclusion, copies have been available in the Powerwolf webstore.
The second of Powerwolf's 2012 releases was Alive in the Night, the band's first live album. It contained 10 tracks and was just over 45 minutes in length. It was released with the April 2012 issue of the German edition of Metal Hammer.
Powerwolf released Preachers of the Night on 18 July 2013.
In 2014, Powerwolf released The History of Heresy I and The History of Heresy II, the second of which included several orchestral versions of Powerwolf songs. On July 17, 2015, the band released Blessed & Possessed.
On 10 October 2017, Powerwolf announced on Facebook that they had completed writing for their seventh full-length album, promising its release to occur sometime in 2018. In January 2018, the band entered the studio to begin recording the album, due later in the year. The title of the album was later announced as The Sacrament of Sin, which was released on 20 July 2018.
- Attila Dorn – vocals (2003–present)
- Matthew Greywolf – lead and rhythm guitar (2003–present)
- Charles Greywolf – rhythm guitar, studio bass (2003–present)
- Falk Maria Schlegel – keyboards (2003–present)
- Roel van Helden – drums (2011–present)
- Stefan Gemballa – drums (2003–2010)
- Tom Diener – drums (2010–2011)
- Return in Bloodred (2005)
- Lupus Dei (2007)
- Bible of the Beast (2009)
- Blood of the Saints (2011)
- Preachers of the Night (2013)
- Blessed & Possessed (2015)
- The Sacrament of Sin (2018)
- Wolfsnächte 2012 - Tour EP (2012)
- The Rockhard Sacrament (2013)
- Wolfsnächte 2015 - Tour EP (2015)
- Alive in the Night (2012)
- The Metal Mass Live (2016)
- Preaching at the Breeze (2017)
- "We Drink Your Blood" (2011)
- "Sanctified with Dynamite" (2012)
- "Amen & Attack" (2013)
- "Army of the Night" (2015)
- "Demons Are a Girl's Best Friend" (2018)
- "Fire & Forgive" (2018)
- "Killers With The Cross" (2018)
- "Saarbrücker Zeitung: International erfolgreiche saarländische Metal-Band Powerwolf setzte neues Album in Saarbrücken in Szene". Retrieved 2014-11-26.
- "Metal Blade Records - Europe". Metalblade.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "UNMB". Unmb.ro. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Powerwolf Biography". Bioandlyrics.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Metal Blade Records". Metalblade.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "POWERWOLF To Enter Studio In December". blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2015-04-17.
- "CD - Wolfsnächte 2012 - Tour EP - Powerwolf Webshop" (in German). Powerwolf-shop.net. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Powerwolf - The FAN PACKAGES (Concert-ticket + tour CD)..." Facebook. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Powerwolf - To Release Live Album Through Metal Hammer Germany". Metal Storm. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "POWERWOLF Begins Recording New Album At Sweden's FASCINATION STREET STUDIOS". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved January 25, 2018.
- "Powerwolf – New Album Coming In 2018". metalstorm.net. October 11, 2017. Retrieved October 12, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Powerwolf.|