Parish church in Powiercie manor
Powiercie [pɔˈvjɛrt͡ɕɛ] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Koło, within Koło County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland. It lies approximately 5 kilometres (3 mi) east of Koło and 124 km (77 mi) east of the regional capital Poznań.
The village has a population of 710. An agricultural school is situated here, formerly a gardening school.
World War II
During the most deadly phase of the Holocaust in Poland on January 16, 1942, the SS and police began deportations from the Łódź Ghetto to the Chełmno extermination camp nearby. German officials transported the Jews from Łódź by train to Koło railway station, six miles (10 km) northwest of Chełmno. There, the SS and police personnel supervised transfer of the Jews from the freight as well as passenger trains, to smaller-size cargo trains running on a narrow-gauge track, which took them from Koło to the Powiercie station.
Beginning in late July 1942, the victims were brought to the camp directly after the regular railway line linking Koło with Dąbie was restored; the bridge over the Rgilewka River had been repaired. As round-ups in Łódź normally took place in the morning, it was usually late afternoon by the time the victims arrived by rail. Therefore, they were marched to a disused mill at Zawadki some two kilometres from Powiercie where they spent the night. The mill continued to be used after the railway repairs, if transports arrived late. The following morning the Jews were transported from Zawadki by truck, in numbers which could be easily controlled at their destination point. They were "processed" immediately upon arrival at the manor-house camp.
- "Central Statistical Office (GUS) - TERYT (National Register of Territorial Land Apportionment Journal)" (in Polish). 2008-06-01.
- H.R.P. (1940s). "Jews at Kolo station - bound for Chelmno" (direct download 788x557 pixels). Historical image. Holocaust Research Project.org. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- Alan Heath, "Unloading the Victims" YouTube video (deportation photo, 1 minute). Narration by Alan Heath.
- Alan Heath, "Bridge over Rgilewka" YouTube vido. Narration by Alan Heath.
- Alan Heath, "Route to Zawadka" YouTube video. Narration by Alan Heath.
- Alan Heath, "The Warta at Zawadki" YouTube video, Narration by Alan Heath.