Pozuelo de Alarcón
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Pozuelo de Alarcón|
View of Pozuelo de Alarcón, looking down the Avenida de Europa.
Pozuelo de Alarcón shown within Madrid
|Region||Community of Madrid|
|Comarca||Madrid metropolitan area|
|• Total||43.2 km2 (16.7 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||690 m (2,260 ft)|
|Postcode||28223 and 28224|
Pozuelo de Alarcón is a municipality in the Community of Madrid. It is a Madrid suburb of over 85,000 inhabitants situated ten kilometers west of the Moncloa District of Madrid. It is surrounded by large Mediterranean pine-tree forests: la Casa de Campo, el Monte del Pardo, and el Monte del Pilar.
Pozuelo has become a low-density residential area during recent decades, as new residential developments have spread over formerly agricultural lands. New transportation infrastructure is approved by the local government. Notable infrastructure developments include the M-40 (the second, counting outwards, of Madrid's ring motorways) and the new 'Metro Ligero' (light rail) line ML2 of the Madrid metro system, which was built in summer 2007 to connect Pozuelo with the Aluche district in the city of Madrid. Two stations also serve Pozuelo: 'Pozuelo' and 'El Barrial-Centro Commercial Pozuelo' of the Madrid area local train system, the 'Cercanias'. Road access is also provided by the A6 and the M503, with the Madrid orbital M40 running to the west.
Pozuelo has one of the highest average per capita incomes in Madrid. According to a report by the Institute of Statistics of the Comunidad de Madrid, Pozuelo's average income level ranks highest, by a notable margin, amongst the municipalities of the Region of Madrid. The standard of living in most of its neighborhoods is high, although some old town-center areas, where a growing economic immigrant population has moved in, are excluded from such wealth.
Pozuelo has a number of urban parks, some of them elongated and serving to separate different areas of the town. The Avenida de Europa is an urban development designed around a wide boulevard.
The Catholic Church in Pozuelo is Santa Maria de Caná. It is a modern structure made of bricks.
The Municipal Council has been ruled by political conservatives since the first democratic elections of the modern Spanish democracy took place. The current mayoress, Susana Pérez, was elected in 2016. Among notable people that live there are Real Madrid player Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Sainz, a Spanish World Rally Champion. Sainz was also the first person to be made an honorary citizen of the town in 2010.
The local festivities, the "Fiestas Patronales", take place in July and in the beginning of September.
Temperatures in Pozuelo de Alarcón are cooler than Madrid's all year round due to its proximity to Madrid's Sierra de Guadarrama Mountains, about 30 kilometers northwest of Pozuelo.
Twin towns – Sister cities
Pozuelo de Alarcón is twinned with:
- Poznań, Poland
- Issy-les-Moulineaux, France
- Recanati, Italy
- Naucalpan, Mexico
- Bir Lehlou, Western Sahara
- Ficha municipal = Municipality Summary Sheet from the Institute of Statistics of the Comunidad de Madrid (in Spanish)
- Pozuelo website: news, culture, stores and companies...
- "Gross Disposable Income by Municipality" (in Spanish). Institute of Statistics of the Comunidad de Madrid.
- "Santa Maria de Caná" (in Spanish). Misas.org.
- RedBull.com - Six of the Best: Carlos Sainz moments Retrieved 17 September 2010
- RallyBuzz.com - Volkswagen factory driver Carlos Sainz honoured 24 November 2010
- Prieto, M. (2016-07-14). "Amazon trasladará su sede española al centro de Madrid para dar cabida a 1.000 empleados". Expansión. Retrieved 2016-09-24.
- "Poznań - Miasta partnerskie". 1998–2013 Urząd Miasta Poznania (in Polish). City of Poznań. Archived from the original on 2013-09-23. Retrieved 2013-12-11.
- "Poznań Official Website - Twin Towns". (in Polish) © 1998–2008 Urząd Miasta Poznania. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- "SpainInvite1.pdf." Posted on recuerdo.net. Retrieved on August 3, 2016. "The American School of Madrid Calle America 3 Pozuelo de Alarcon 28223 Spain"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pozuelo de Alarcón.|