Aeroporto de Príncipe
|Serves||Príncipe Island, São Tomé and Príncipe|
|Elevation AMSL||591 ft / 180 m|
Príncipe Airport (IATA: PCP, ICAO: FPPR) is an airport on the island of Príncipe, located 3 kilometres (2 mi) north of Santo António, the island's capital. It is the only airport on Príncipe and one of the three airports serving São Tomé and Príncipe. It was built in 1968 during Portuguese colonial rule. The only commercial flights available are to São Tomé International Airport in the capital, but private and charter flights are also available.
East of the airport is the settlement of Aeroporto named after the airport.
Airlines and destinations
|STP Airways||São Tomé|
In 2012, the Portuguese construction firm Mota-Engil was hired to modernize the airport. The main focus was lengthening the runway to allow it to accommodate mid-size jets. Although regional President José Cardoso Cassandra originally announced the work would be completed in 17 months, it was not finished until October 2015. The renovations were funded by a $18 million investment by a South African firm, which also involved the construction of a five-star eco-tourism hotel on the island.
The airport resides at an elevation of 591 feet (180 m) above mean sea level. It has 1 runway designated 18/36 with an asphalt surface. Prior to the 2012 renovations, it measured 1,320 by 30 metres (4,331 ft × 98 ft), but it has since been lengthened to 1,750 metres (5,740 ft). Unlike the airport in São Tomé, the airport in Príncipe is not certified for Instrument Flight Rules. The airport does have customs facilities, but there are no commercial international flights into Príncipe, so the facilities are only for passengers arriving on charter and private flights.
- Airport information for FPPR from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for PCP at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- New runway at the airport on the island of Príncipe inaugurated in São Tomé MacauHub
- "Vols réguliers entre Sao Tome et Principe". Africa's Connection - Aviation d'affaires (in French). Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- Mota-Engil group hired to modernise airport on Principe island, in Sao Tome and Principe MacauHub
- Airports in Sao Tomé & Principe Aircraft Charter World