|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Praa Sands (Cornish: Poll an Wragh) - pronounced Pray or Prah Sands, is a beautiful white sand beach and coastal village in Cornwall, United Kingdom. It is in the parish of Breage and lies off the main road between Helston and Penzance. Formerly serving the local mining industry, it is now mostly a tourist-oriented area.
The village is also the site of Praa Sands and district community centre, which holds events throughout the year for the local community.
Situated in a sheltered indentation within Mount's Bay, it has a long, wide sandy beach facing South, lapped by comparatively large waves for the area. The beach, which has shallow waters and seasonal lifeguards, attracts surfers and holidaymakers. Adjacent to the beach are traditional retail outlets serving the holidaymaker.
To the west of the village is another small beach, at Kenneggy, which is accessible from the cliff path at low tide.
The Short Sunderland plane crash
After an air battle against eight German planes in the Bay of Biscay, the Sunderland had been heavily damaged. The crew made it back 800 miles to the Cornish coast, where pilot Colin Walker managed to land and beach it at Praa Sands. The local people of Praa Sands took the crew into their houses, and gave them medical assistance. Walker received the Distinguished Service Order and several of the other crew members also received medals.
On 2 June 2013, a memorial was opened on the green at Praa Sands.
- Place-names in the Standard Written Form (SWF) : List of place-names agreed by the MAGA Signage Panel. Cornish Language Partnership.
- Ordnance Survey: Landranger map sheet 203 Land's End ISBN 978-0-319-23148-7
- "Folly Rocks" (PDF). Natural England. Retrieved 31 October 2011.
- French, C. "The 'submerged forest' palaeosols of Cornwall" (PDF). Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- "Crew of Praa Sands WWII crash plane remembered". BBC.
|This Cornwall location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|