Prabhakar Raghavan receiving a Laurea honoris causa from the University of Bologna, 2009
|Born||citation needed]September 25, 1960 [|
University of California Berkeley,
Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
|Alma mater||University of California Berkeley,
Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
|Thesis||Randomized Rounding and Discrete Ham-Sandwich Theorems: Provably Good Algorithms for Routing and Packing Problems (Integer Programming) (1987)|
|Doctoral advisor||Clark D. Thompson|
Prabhakar Raghavan is a Vice President of Engineering at Google. His research spans algorithms, web search and databases  and he is the co-author of the textbooks Randomized Algorithms with Rajeev Motwani and Introduction to Information Retrieval.
Prior to joining Google, he worked at Yahoo! Labs. Before that, Raghavan worked at IBM Research and later became senior vice president and chief technology officer at enterprise search vendor Verity.
Awards and Honors
Raghavan is a member of the National Academy of Engineering; a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). From 2003 to 2009, Raghavan was the editor-in-chief of Journal of the ACM.
In 1986, Raghavan received the Machtey Award for Best Student Paper. In 2000, he was named a fellow of the IEEE; received the Best Paper Award at the ACM Symposium on Principles of Database Systems; and received the Best Paper Award at the Ninth International World Wide Web Conference (WWW9). In 2002, Raghavan was named a fellow of the ACM. He received the 2006 Distinguished Alumnus Award, UC Berkeley Division of Computer Science. In 2008, Raghavan was made a member of the National Academy of Engineering. and In 2009, he was awarded a Laurea honoris causa from the University of Bologna. In 2012 he was named a Distinguished Alumnus by the IIT Madras.
- "Randomized Rounding And Discrete Ham-Sandwich Theorems: Provably Good Algorithms for Routing and Packing Problems". UC Berkeley. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
Advisor: Clark D. Thompson
- "Prabhakar Raghavan". Executive Profile. Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Raghavan, Prabhakar; Motwani, Rajeev (1995). Randomized algorithms. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-47465-5.
- Raghavan, Prabhakar (2012). "Rajeev Motwani (1962-2009)" (PDF). Theory of Computing. 8: 55–57. doi:10.4086/toc.2012.v008a003.
- Schütze, Hinrich; Christopher D. Manning; Raghavan, Prabhakar (2008). Introduction to information retrieval. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-86571-9.
- Prabhakar Raghavan at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Broder, A.; Kumar, R.; Maghoul, F.; Raghavan, P.; Rajagopalan, S.; Stata, R.; Tomkins, A.; Wiener, J. (2000). "Graph structure in the Web". Computer Networks. 33: 309. doi:10.1016/S1389-1286(00)00083-9.
- Prabhakar Raghavan author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Prabhakar Raghavan's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- Farber, Dan. "Yahoo's new search master". Between the Lines Blog. ZDNet. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Dr. Prabhakar Raghavan". Company Info. Yahoo! News Center. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "History". History. Journal of the ACM. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "IEEE Fellows: R". IEEE Fellows. IEEE. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Department of Computer Science 1999-2000 Annual Report". Department of Computer Science 1999-2000 Annual Report. Cornell University. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "2000 IBM Research Computer Science Best Paper Awards". IBM Computer Science. IBM. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Verity Executive Prabhakar Raghavan Inducted as an ACM Fellow". News & Events. Autonomy.com. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Distinguished Alumni". Distinguished Alumni. Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "National Academy of Engineering Elects 65 Members and Nine Foreign Associates". News. National Academies. Retrieved 28 October 2011.