Prabhas at the 18th Mumbai Film Festival in 2017
Venkata Satyanarayana Prabhas Raju Uppalapati|
23 October 1979
Madras, Tamil Nadu, India
|Residence||Film Nagar, Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Years active||2002 – present|
|Relatives||Krishnam Raju Uppalapati (uncle)|
|Awards||IIFA, Nandi Award, Filmfare|
Prabhas (born Venkata Satyanarayana Prabhas Raju Uppalapati on 23 October 1979) is an Indian film actor who predominantly works in Telugu cinema. Prabhas made his film debut with the 2002 drama film Eeswar. Prabhas won the state award, the Nandi Award for Best Actor, for his role in Mirchi. He appeared in a Bollywood item song, in Prabhudeva's 2014 film Action Jackson.
His works include Varsham (2004), Chatrapathi (2005), Chakram (2005), Billa (2009), Darling (2010), Mr. Perfect (2011), and Mirchi (2013). Prabhas played the title role in S. S. Rajamouli's epic film Baahubali: The Beginning (2015), which is the fourth-highest-grossing Indian film to date. Prabhas reprised his role in its sequel, Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017), which became the first ever Indian film to gross over ₹1,000 crore (US$155 million) in all languages in just ten days, and it is the second highest-grossing Indian film to date. Prabhas is the first south Indian actor to have wax statue in Madame Tussaud's wax museum.
Prabhas was born to film producer U. Suryanarayana Raju and his wife Siva Kumari. He is the youngest of three children, with an elder brother Pramod Uppalapati and sister Pragathi. His uncle is Telugu actor Krishnam Raju Uppalapati. Prabhas attended the DNR School, Bhimavaram and graduated with a B.Tech. degree from Sri Chaitanya College, Hyderabad.
In 2005 he acted in the film Chatrapathi directed by S. S. Rajamouli, in which he portrays the role of a refugee, exploited by goons. It had a 100-day run in 54 centers. Idlebrain stated that he had a unique style and macho charm in his screen presence.
Later he acted in Pournami, Yogi and Munna, an action-drama film came out in 2007, followed by the action-comedy Bujjigadu in 2008. In 2009 his two films were Billa and Ek Niranjan. Indiaglitz called Billa stylish and visually rich.
In 2010 he appeared in the romantic comedy Darling and in 2011, Mr. Perfect, another romantic comedy. In 2012, Prabhas starred in Rebel, an action film directed by Raghava Lawrence. His next film was Mirchi. He rendered voice for a short cameo for the film Denikaina Ready.
In 2015 he appeared as Shivudu/Mahendra Baahubali and Amarendra Baahubali in S.S. Rajamouli's epic Baahubali: The Beginning. The film became the third highest-grossing film worldwide in India and garnered critical and commercial praise all over the world.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2005||Chatrapathi||Siva / Chatrapathi||Telugu|
|2007||Yogi||Eeswar Prasad / Yogi||Telugu|
|2008||Bujjigadu||Bujji / Linga Raju / Rajinikanth||Telugu|
|2009||Billa||Billa / Ranga||Telugu|
|2010||Darling||Prabhas / Prabha||Telugu||CineMaa award for Best actor (Jury)|
|2013||Mirchi||Jai||Telugu||Nandi Award for Best Actor|
|2015||Baahubali: The Beginning||Mahendra Baahubali / Shivudu
|Telugu / Tamil|
|2017||Baahubali 2: The Conclusion||Telugu
- "15 Interesting Facts About Prabhas You Should Know Before Calling Yourself His Biggest Fan!". Indiatimes.com. 13 May 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
His full name is .
- "Happy birthday Prabhas: Six lesser known facts about the Baahubali actor". 23 October 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
Actor Prabhas turned 37 on Sunday.
- "Baahubali creates history with opening day collections". India Today. 11 July 2015.
- "India's most expensive film?". Hindustan Times. 15 July 2013.
- "Bahubali wins national award for Best Film". The Times of India. 28 March 2016. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- Oops... 'PK' Is Not Actually India's Top-Grossing Movie Ever. Forbes.com (14 August 2015). Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- "'Baahubali' Zooms Past 'Dhoom', Now India's All Time #3". Forbes.
- Mike McCahill (12 July 2015). "Baahubali: The Beginning review – fantastic bang for your buck in most expensive Indian movie ever made". the Guardian.
- "Bahubali 2 Hits 1000 Crore Worldwide In Ten Days".
- "Baahubali 2's Rs 1000 crore collection: How SS Rajamouli's film achieved its box office numbers- Entertainment News, Firstpost".
- Baahubali 2 Creates History, Becomes First Indian Movie Ever To Collect Rs 1,000 Crore. Ndtv.com (30 April 2017). Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Baahubali 2 star Prabhas becomes first South Indian actor to get a wax statue at Madame Tussauds. See pics". 2 May 2017.
- "Prabhas' Biography". Prabhas.com. 3 May 2005. Archived from the original on 5 March 2005. Retrieved 3 May 2005.
- "Prabhas' birthday a family affair". Deccan Chronicle. 24 October 2011. Archived from the original on 30 December 2011. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "Prabhas Profile". forbesindia. 25 December 2005. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- Chatrapati – Telugu cinema – 100 days centers – Prabhas & Shriya Archived 13 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine.. Idlebrain.com. Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- Chatrapati – Telugu cinema Review – Prabhas, Shriya. Idlebrain.com (29 September 2005). Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- Billa review. Billa Telugu movie review, story, rating. IndiaGlitz.com (3 April 2009). Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- Sashidhar AS (12 September 2012). "Denikaina Ready audio on Sep 23". The Times of India.
- "It's official! Baahubali 2 to hit the screens on April 28, 2017". Hindustan Times. 5 August 2016. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Prabhas-Rajamouli Movie Announced". indiaglitz. 18 February 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- Sashidhar AS (13 January 2013). "Rajamouli-Prabhas' film is titled Bahubali". The Times of India.
- "Baahubali Prabhas's next film is Saaho, will have action by Transformers' stuntman". hindustantimes. 23 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prabhas.|