Practice-based professional learning
Practice-based professional learning (pbpl) is understood in contrast to 'classroom-' or 'theory-based' learning. It is kindred to terms such as 'work-based learning', 'workplace' or 'work-centred' learning. Distinctive, though, are a concern for professional learning, and the preference for 'practice' rather than 'work'. While it does not disdain propositional knowledge and what is sometimes called 'theory', its prime interest is in the formation of self-renewing and effective professional practices—a distinct theoretical position in its own right.
UK Higher Education
The range of concerns may be seen, for example, in the UK Open University's practice-based professional learning centre, one of the Higher Education Funding Council for England's centres for excellence in teaching and learning. Its interests cover the inter-relation of various forms of professional knowledge, ways of fostering them and their co-ordination, workplaces as sites of learning, the assessment of practice-based learning achievements, and the use of modern technologies to support distributed learning.
Other centres for excellence occupy some or all of the territory, notably the Professional Development Unit at the University of Chester, SCEPTrE in the University of Surrey, CEPLW in the University of Westminster and NCWBLP in Middlesex University.
US K-12 Education
As practiced in K-12 education in the United States, practice-based professional learning develops and integrates a school's use of curriculum and assessment, instructional leadership, and professional learning communities (PLCs) to create a system-wide shift in day-to-day classroom instruction. Indeed, it is this focus on daily classroom practice, "the core tasks and activities of teaching rather than knowledge or theory" that distinguishes practice-based professional learning from other models of professional learning and development. Several US universities and educational companies have created materials and resources that use a PBPL approach.
- "Practice-based Professional Learning - PBPL - The Open University". Archived from the original on 2006-10-12. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
- HEFCE : Learning & teaching : Teaching initiatives : Centres for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- University of Chester: The Professional Development Unit Archived 2008-03-17 at the Wayback Machine
- SCEPTrE Home Page
- CEPLW - Centre for Excellence in Professional Learning from the Workplace
- Middlesex University - Institute for Work Based Learning
- David Boud: UTS: Faculty of Education
- "Practice-Based Professional Learning". inquirED. May 2019.
- Evan J. Fishman, Hilda Borko, Jonathan Osborne, Florencia Gomez, Stephanie Rafanelli, Emily Reigh, Anita Tseng, Susan Million & Eric Berson (2019). "A PracticeBased Professional Development Program to Support Scientific Argumentation" (PDF). Journal of Science Teacher Education.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Practice-Based Teacher Education". teachingworks.org. University of Michigan School of Education. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Designs for Practice-Based Teacher Education". tedd.org. University of Washington College of Education. Retrieved 2019-11-18.