Practice management is the term used in General practice for the person who manages the finance and administration of a doctor's office or an office of a medical professional in one of many types of specialty_(medicine),. This is distinct from other official titles such as Advanced Practice Manager, which are generally clinical. Practice management encompasses multiple topics including governance, the financial aspects of medical billing, management of one or more mid-level practitioners, ancillary service development, information technology, transcription utilization, and marketing.
The job of the practice manager has evolved over the last century. When general practice was a cottage industry, operating in the doctor's front room, the receptionist, and the manager, insofar as there was any management, was often the doctor's wife. In the 21st century the biggest practices in the UK now have more than 200,000 patients and hundreds of staff over dozens of sites. Some practices, however, are still single handed. Working conditions in rural areas are very different from those in cities. By no means all the jobs are full time. About half the practice managers surveyed in the UK reported working from five to eight additional hours per week, not all of it paid. Average salary was £39,334.17
The same role exists in veterinary practice.
The work of practice managers is varied but generally includes:
- personnel administration
- strategic planning
- Information technology.
See also Health administration
- Althausen, Peter L; Mead, Lisa (2014). "Practice Management". Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 28 (7 Suppl): S12–7. doi:10.1097/BOT.0000000000000138. PMID 24918826.
- "GPs slept in practice overnight to be in time for morning surgery". Pulse. 12 December 2017. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "Practice managers work the equivalent of an extra day per week, survey shows". Management in practice. 21 November 2017. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "Rising star moves from admin assistant to practice manager". Vettimes. 20 December 2017. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "Practice manager". Health Careers. Health Education England. Retrieved 31 December 2017.