Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana|
|Prime Minister(s)||Narendra Modi|
|Ministry||Ministry of Women and Child Development|
Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY), previously Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana (IGMSY), is a maternity benefit program run by the government of India. It was introduced in 2016 and is implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development. It is a conditional cash transfer scheme for pregnant and lactating women of 19 years of age or above for the first live birth. It provides a partial wage compensation to women for wage-loss during childbirth and childcare and to provide conditions for safe delivery and good nutrition and feeding practices. In 2013, the scheme was brought under the National Food Security Act, 2013 to implement the provision of cash maternity benefit of ₹6,000 (US$87) stated in the Act. Presently, the scheme is implemented on a pilot basis in 53 selected districts and proposals are under consideration to scale it up to 200 additional 'high burden districts' in 2015-16. Previously the pregnant women were given 6000 but in PMMVY they receive 5000 in three installments.
The scheme, rechristened Maternity benefits programme is set to cover the entire nation. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in his 2017 New Year’s eve speech, announced that the scheme will be scaled up to cover 650 districts of the country. The announcement assumes significance as India accounts for 17% of all maternal deaths in the world. The country’s maternal mortality rate is pegged at 130 per 100,000 live births, whereas infant mortality is estimated at 43 per 1,000 live births. Among the primary causes of high maternal and infant mortality are poor nutrition and inadequate medical care during pregnancy and childbirth.
The scheme was launched in 2010 as Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana (IGMSY). It was renamed as Matritva Sahyog Yojana in 2014 and again as Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) in 2017.
About the Program
- Promoting appropriate practice, care and institutional service utilization during pregnancy, delivery and lactation
- Encouraging the women to follow (optimal) nutrition and feeding practices, including early and Exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months; and
- Providing cash incentives for improved health and nutrition to pregnant and lactating mothers.
IGMSY provides financial assistance as grant-in-aid to state governments.
Eligibility Conditions and Conditionalities
Originally, all pregnant women of 19 years of age and above were eligible for conditional cash transfer benefits of ₹5,000 (US$72) to paid in three installments, except those who receive paid maternity leave. After the implementation of National Food Security Act the amount has been revised to ₹6,000 (US$87) to be paid in two installments of ₹3,000 (US$43) each. The cash transfers under the Scheme are subject to the following conditions:
- The first transfer (at the end of second birth / pregnancy trimester) of ₹3,000 (US$43) requires the mother to:
- The second transfer (three months after delivery) of ₹3,000 (US$43) requires the mother to:
- Additionally the scheme requires the mother to:
However, studies suggest that these eligibility conditions and other conditionalities exclude a large number of women from receiving their entitlements.
- "PUCL plea in SC questions delay in implementation". The Hindu. 31 May 2015. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "India's unrealised maternity entitlement". The Hindu. 28 March 2015. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- Yadav, Anumeha. "Modi's rebranded maternity benefits scheme may actually reduce extent of coverage". Scroll.in. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "Full transcript of PM Narendra Modi's New Year's eve speech". hindustantimes.com/. 31 December 2016. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "Rs 6,000 aid for pregnant women on hospitalisation, says Modi". Times of India Blog. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "'Pradhan Mantri' replaces 'Indira Gandhi' in govt maternity benefit scheme", Hindustan Times, 25 May 2017
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20150928124326/http://wcd.nic.in/SchemeIgmsy/IGMSYImpGuidelinesApr11.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 September 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help); Missing or empty
- "Ministry of Women and Child Development (India)".
- "Press Information Bureau English Releases". Pib.nic.in. 1 June 2011. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- "Report On The Study Of The Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojna". centreforequitystudies.org. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
cash maternity benefit of ₹5000/- The first transat the enfer (d of second birth / pregnancy trimester) of ₹1000/- second-2000/- third-2,000/-