Pragatisheel Indira Congress
|Founder||Somendra Nath Mitra|
|Founded||19 July 2008|
|Split from||Indian National Congress|
|ECI Status||Dissolved party|
Pragatisheel India Congress (PIC) is a political party in India that was formed by Somendra Nath Mitra. In July 2008, Somendra Nath Mitra left the Indian National Congress and formed a new party, named, Pragatisheel Indira Congress. In October 2009, the party was officially merged with the All India Trinamool Congress.
The party intends to fight the upcoming West Bengal Legislative Assembly election, 2016 with the primary intention of eroding the vote-share of the incumbent All India Trinamool Congress party which runs the government in West Bengal.
Roy, who had formerly been a Railway Minister and also a senior functionary of the Trinamool Congress was expelled from the party in 2015. Initially he contemplated joining hands with either the BJP or the Congress Party but after considering his prospects he decided to not go with any of the national parties and instead went on to form his own party.
List of party post holders
- Chairman : Somendra Nath Mitra.
- State President: Jayanta Bhattacharya
- General Secretary: Samir Aich.
- General Secretary : Chandrima Bhattacharya
- Students wing State President (PICP): Tamoghna Ghosh
- "List of Political Parties and Election Symbols main Notification Dated 18.01.2013" (PDF). India: Election Commission of India. 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2013.