Municipal District of Prague
Administrative District of Prague
Zikova street, Prague 6
Location of Prague 6 in Prague
|• Mayor||Ondřej Kolář|
|• Total||41.54 km2 (16.04 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,400/km2 (6,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Prague 6, formally the municipal district Prague 6 (Městská čast Praha 6), is the largest Prague district.
It is located in the north-west of Prague. It covers 41.54 km² and has 100,600 inhabitants (31.12.2008).
The district contains several sites (e.g. Břevnov Monastery) and cultural institutions (Semafor, Divadlo Spejbla a Hurvínka, the Baba district and the Hvězda Game Reserve with its many chateaux in an area of 86 hectares. Also the biggest airport in Czech Republic, the Ruzyně International Airport is located in this District.
Strahov is characterised by an aging sports stadium and constant construction works and is especially popular amongst students. Their “town” consists of ten large blocks of dormitories accommodating not only young people from all over the world but also several classic student pubs and restaurants and some of the best night clubs in town. Important sight: Strahov Monastery.
Home of the medical students and the Kajetánka University Residence. However, it is also considered a “good address" in Prague. For this reason, the current Czech President resides here, as have all his predecessors. Also Jaroslav Seifert, the poet and Literature Nobel Laureate, lived in Břevnov. Important sight: Břevnov Monastery.
Home to many technically oriented faculties of Charles University, such as those of Engineering, Civil Engineering and Chemistry. Popular residential area amongst "better” Prague families and foreigners, especially Americans. Important sights: National Technical Library, Vítězné náměstí (Victory Square)- the central square of Dejvice -, and the Stalinist building of the Hotel International Prague.
One of Prague's most expensive places in terms of rental prices. Many rich and ancient houses from the Functionalist period. Important sights: Villa Mueller or Baba - a completely protected area, full of Functionalist villas, which were built in 1937.
Famous for the Václav Havel Airport Prague as well as for its prison which also accommodated former President Václav Havel during the communist regime, together with other dissidents.
Czech Airlines has its head office on the grounds of Prague Ruzyně Airport in Ruzyně. Travel Service Airlines and its low cost subsidiary Smart Wings have their head office on the airport property.
Universities located in Prague 6:
- Czech Technical University (ČVUT)
- Institute of Chemical Technology (VŠCHT)
- Czech University of Agriculture (ČZU)
- Catholic Theological Faculty (KTF UK) and Faculty of Physical Education and Sport (FTVS UK) of Charles University
- Prague British International School Vlastina Campus in Liboc; it formerly belonged to the pre-merger Prague British School.
- International School of Prague
- Japanese School of Prague (Řepy)
- Riverside School, Prague
- Home page. Civil Aviation Authority. Retrieved on 25 February 2012. "Postal and visitor´s address: Civil Aviation Authority Czech Republic Ruzyně Airport 160 08 Praha 6"
- "Imprint Archived 2012-02-26 at the Wayback Machine." Czech Airlines. Retrieved on 4 February 2010.
- "Contacts." Travel Service Airlines. Retrieved on 14 November 2011. "Travel Service, a. s. K Letišti 1068/30 160 08 Prague 6 Czech Republic"
- "Contact Archived 2012-02-20 at the Wayback Machine." Smart Wings. Retrieved on 19 February 2012. "Office at Prague airport K letisti 1068/30 160 08 Praha 6 Czech Republic"
- "One School, Three Campuses." Prague British International School. Retrieved on 4 January 2019. "Vlastina campus Vlastina 19 161 00 Praha 6"
- "Vlastina." Prague British School. Retrieved on 20 February 2015. "Address: Vlastina 19, Prague 6"
- "Contact Information." International School of Prague. Retrieved on 20 February 2015. "Nebusicka 700 164 00 Prague 6 Czech Republic"
- "子女教育." Embassy of Japan in the Czech Republic. Retrieved on 20 February 2015. "プラハ日本人学校 住所：Skuteckeho 1388, 163 00 Praha 6–Repy"