Prairie Township, Holmes County, Ohio
|Prairie Township, Holmes County, Ohio|
Location of Prairie Township in Holmes County
|• Total||30.7 sq mi (79.5 km2)|
|• Land||30.7 sq mi (79.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||843 ft (257 m)|
|• Density||102/sq mi (39.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086335|
Prairie Township is one of the fourteen townships of Holmes County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 3,133, up from 2,785 at the 2000 census. In 2010, 2,761 of the population lived in the unincorporated portion of the township.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Franklin Township, Wayne County - north
- Salt Creek Township, Wayne County - northeast corner
- Salt Creek Township - east
- Hardy Township - south
- Monroe Township - southwest
- Ripley Township - west
- Clinton Township, Wayne County - northwest corner
The village of Holmesville is located in central Prairie Township.
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Prairie Township is located in Franklin County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Prairie township, Holmes County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.