|District of Andhra Pradesh|
An Ongole Bull
Location in Andhra Pradesh, India
|Named for||Tanguturi Prakasam|
|• Collector||G.V.S.R.K.R Vijaya Kumar|
|• Total||17,626 km2 (6,805 sq mi)|
|Elevation||100 m (300 ft)|
|• Density||173.57/km2 (449.5/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-AP-PR|
|Vehicle registration||AP 27|
Prakasam District (Telugu: ప్రకాశం జిల్లా) is an administrative district in the state of Andhra Pradesh, in India. The district headquarters is located at Ongole city. The district occupies an area of 17,626 km² and has a population of 3,059,423 of which 15.28% were urban as of 2001 Census.
The region was named as Prakasam District on 12 May 1972 in memory of Tanguturi Prakasam, also known as Andhra Kesari (Lion of Andhra), who was born in the village of Vinodarayunipalem.
Prakasam district was originally constituted on 2 February 1970, carved out of Guntur, Nellore and Kurnool districts of Andhra Pradesh. It was carved out of three taluks of Guntur District, i.e. Addanki, Chirala and Ongole, four taluks of Nellore district, i.e. Kandukur, Kanigiri, Podili and Darsi and three taluks of Kurnool district i.e. Markapur, Cumbum and Giddaluru. It is one of the nine districts in the Coastal Andhra region of Andhra Pradesh.
The only Municipal Corporation in Prakasam is Ongole. Some of the main towns in Prakasam district are Singarayakonda, Addanki, Inkollu, Markapur, Yerragondapalem, Podili, Darsi, Donakonda, Chirala, Kandukur, Pamuru, Parchur, Giddaluru, Dornala, Cumbum, Kanigiri, Chimakurthy and Martur. Markapur is India's main slate manufacturing town where the historic temple of Lord Chennakesava is situated. Chimakurthi is world renowned for its granite reserves. Dornala is also known as Diguva Srisailam, since it is very near the historic pilgrimage center of Srisailam.
Cumbum lake also known as Gundalakamma lake built on Gundalakamma rivulet upon Nallamalai hills is one of the oldest man made lakes of Asia. The anicut was built by the Gajapati kings of Orissa in 15th. Century AD when the area was under their control. It was subsequently renovated by the Vijayanagar princess Varadharaj Amma. The lake in its present form is about 7 km long and on average, about 3.5 km wide As per the Imperial gazette of India at the turn of 20th century the height of the dam was 57 feet (17 m) and the drainage area was 430 square miles (1,100 km2). The direct irrigation land was about 10,300 acres (42 km2) in all. Cumbum lake is accessible both by the rail Guntur-Nandyal railway line and by road 108 km from Ongole.
Martur is famous for its granite units and Tobacco factories and Spinning mills which give emplyoment to over 25,000 laborers and technical engineers. This village pays the highest power bill for its usage. A new Steel factory is under construction where people from Orissa and Rajasthan come to work.Nirmamaheswara swami (Lord Siva) temple is a very old and famous temple in Podili.chirala also known as andhra mumbai due to the saree & textile marketing shops.chimakurthy is famous for its granite industry which is providing a large sector of employment.
Rangaswamy Gundam near Giddaluru
In 2007–2008 the International Institute for Population Sciences interviewed 977 households in 42 villages across the district. They found that 91.1% had access to electricity, 91.3% had drinking water, 40% toilet facilities, and 54.6% lived in a pucca (permanent) home. 31.7% of girls wed before the legal age of 18 and 73.9% of interviewees carried a BPL card.
|Mandal Code||Mandal Name||Mandal Code||Mandal Name||Mandal Code||Mandal Name||Mandal Code||Mandal Name||Mandal Code||Mandal Name||Mandal Code||Mandal Name|
According to the 2011 census Prakasam District has a population of 3,392,764, roughly equal to the nation of Panama or the US state of Connecticut. This gives it a ranking of 98th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 192 inhabitants per square kilometre (500 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 10.9%. Prakasam has a sex ratio of 981 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 63.53%. Telugu is the language spoken here. Cumbum mandal showed a very good growth indicators in the Census 2011. According to census of India, Cumbum mandal has been recognized as the second highest in literacy in Praksam district literacy having 73.55% literates after Ongole Mandal. Also Cumbum mandal is the third highest in sex ratio in Prakasam district having 1031 female population per 1000 males.
- Tanguturi Prakasam, Freedom Fighter, Chief Minister of Andhra State, Chief Minister of Madras Presidency
- Bhanumathi Ramakrishna, Famous Film actress,Producer,Director,Singer,Studio owner.
- U. Aswathanarayana, Honorary Director of the Mahadevan International Centre for Water Resources Management, India.
- kongara jaggayya, Actor, Dubbing Artist,Journalist, Political leader.
- Johnny Lever, Indian film actor and one of the most popular comedians in Hindi cinema.
- Pullela Gopichand, All England Open Badminton Champion in 2001.
- D. Ramanaidu, Famous film producer.
- Daggubati Venkatesh, Famous film actor.
- Daggubati Suresh Babu, Famous film Producer.
- Dr A Davidson S Solomon, Famous doctor who treated HIV and AIDS in 1992 in Chirala .
- A.Raja S Solomon, known for mobilizing FAITH based organization and works with compassion for orphans and widows
- Tottempudi Gopichand, Famous film actor.
- Tottempudi Krishna, Famous film Director & Editor.
- Giri Babu, Famous film actor.
- Raghu Babu, Famous film actor and one of the most popular comedians in Telugu cinema.
- Law, Gwillim (25 September 2011). "Districts of India". Statoids. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- "83 districts under the Security Related Expenditure Scheme". IntelliBriefs. 11 December 2009. Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Andhra Pradesh: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1111–1112. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.
- "Island Directory Tables: Islands by Land Area". United Nations Environment Program. 18 February 1998. Retrieved 11 October 2011. "Seram 17,454"
- "District Level Household and Facility Survey (DLHS-3), 2007-08: India. Andhra Prades" (PDF). International Institute for Population Sciences and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. 2010. Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- "How Do I? : Obtain Marriage Certificate". National Portal Content Management Team, National Informatics Centre. 2005. Retrieved 3 October 2011. "To be eligible for marriage, the minimum age limit is 21 for males and 18 for females."
- aponline.gov.in. "Mandals List". Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 1 October 2011. "Panama 3,460,462 July 2011 est."
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 30 September 2011. "Connecticut 3,574,097"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prakasam district.|
Prakasam (district) travel guide from Wikivoyage
||Mahbubnagar district||Guntur district|
|Kurnool district||Bay of Bengal|
|YSR district||Nellore district|