Prakash is a common given name in Asian, Hindu, Sanskrit names and widely used in Nepal, India and Sri Lanka. Prakash, is generally used as a masculine name. It is pronounced Pra-kash. The word Prakash is derived from the Sanskrit word "prakāśa", literally meaning "Bright light" or "Sun light" or "Moon light" or simply "Light". Metaphorically, it designates the person as a source of enlightenment or wisdom. From the Sanskrit 'pra' meaning "forth" and 'kāśa' meaning "shining." Hence the meaning "luminous; shining forth". Hindu given names are from Sanskrit. Given names derive from a number of sources including Religion, Nature, family names and Sanskrit vocabulary words. Sacred Hindu texts are the source of most names. And these names generally contain a given name followed by some Number of secondary names. Secondary names are often patronyms, names derived from the Father, grandfather or other paternal ancestor, village names, occupation names, or names of Gods.
It may refer to:
- Prakash (film director), Kannada film director
- Prakash Raj (born 1965), Indian film actor, director, producer and television presenter
- Prakash Bare, Indian film actor in Malayalam movies
- Prakash Bhandari
- Prakash Amritraj, Indian professional tennis player
- Prakash Padukone, former Indian badminton player from Karnataka
- Prakash Mehra, Hindi film producer and director
- Prakash Jha, Indian film producer-director-screenwriter
- Prakash Karat, Indian communist politician
- Prakash John, Canadian rock bassist
- Prakash Vir Shastri (1923 – 1977), noted Member of the Parliament of India
- Prakasam district, a district in Andhra Pradesh, India
- Prakash Javadekar (born 1951), former Member of Parliament Rajya Sabha and a leader of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
- Prakash Amte, medical doctor and social worker from Maharashtra, India
- Prakash Dahake, member of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly
- Parkash Singh Badal, Indian politician who has been the Chief Minister of Punjab since 2007
- Prakash Yashwant Ambedkar (born 1954), Indian politician
This is a name and written in different ways in the various scripts of South Asia: Devanagari, Hindi, Nepali, Marathi: प्रकाश, Tamil:பிரகாஷ்.O, Telugu: ప్రకాష్, Kannada: ಪ್ರಕಾಶ್.O, Malayalam:പ്രകാശ്.O, Urdu: پرکاش.O, Bengali: প্রকাশ.O
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Prakash.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.