6 October 1950 |
Early life and education
Tandon was born on 6 October 1950, at Lucknow. He received his B.Sc. degree in 1969 and M.Sc. (Botany) in 1971 from Lucknow University. He obtained his Ph.D. from Jodhpur University in 1976. In 1977, he joined the North-Eastern Hill University as a lecturer and later rose to the position of vice-chancellor.
Tandon was awarded the National Scholarship for Study Abroad by Government of India and worked as a post-doctoral fellow in the Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry at the University of California, Irvine, US during 1978–79 and studied the genome organization and expression of chloroplast DNA. From 1989 to 1995, the National Institute of Agro-biological Resources and several Universities in Japan invited him for research work that led to a long-term collaboration on Plant Conservation Biotechnology.
Tandon was vice-chancellor of NEHU from 2005 to 2010. Under his leadership, NEHU received the distinction of ‘University with Potential for Excellence’ being one amongst nine such universities in the country at that time, securing an ‘A’ grade through reaccreditation of the university by NAAC.
Tandon served as a member of the National Advisory Council during 2010–14, where he worked extensively on development of northeastern region, a region facing many challenges including troubled history and geo-politics, environmental vulnerability and rough terrain, seclusion and insurgencies, poor infrastructure and weak governance, and limited connectivity.
Tandon's research has made contributions in micropropagation, re-establishment in nature, and recovery of critically endangered endemic plants of Northeast India. His most recent studies (2010-2015) focus on the genetic makeup of RET plants, including molecular and cytological basis of rarity of endangered plants that is useful in planning conservation strategies. Tandon has worked on biotechnological enhancement of Capsaicin biosynthesis in cell cultures of Capsicum chinense (Naga King Chilli - one of the hottest chillies of the world)
Tandon is a Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, India and Indian Botanical Society and served as a member of many Academic bodies and National Task Forces including Scientific Advisory Committee to the Cabinet, GOI.
Tandon is the recipient of a number awards and recognitions, including:
- Padma Shri (2009) awarded by the President of India
- Award of Millennium Plaques of Honour (2008-2009) of Indian Science Congress Association, received from Hon’ble Prime Minister of India
- Prof. A.R. Chavan Memorial Lecture Award (2013) of the M.S. University of Baroda
- Biodiversity Lecture Award (2013) of National Academy of Sciences, India
- Prof. Saligram Sinha Memorial Lecture Award (2011) of the National Academy of Sciences, India
- Professor R.N. Tandon Memorial Lecture Award (2008) of the National Academy of Sciences, India
- Gadgil Memorial Lecture Award (2006) of Plant Tissue Culture Association of India (2006)
- Dr. T.N. Khoshoo Memorial Lecture Award (2006) of The Orchid Society of India
- Professor Panchanan Maheshwari Medal Award (2004) of Indian Botanical Society
- B.P. Pal National Environment Fellowship Award on Biodiversity (2002-2004), Ministry of Environment & Forests, Government of India
- Platinum Jubilee Lecture Award (2000) of Indian Science Congress Association
- Science and Technology Agency Research Award (1994 & 1995) for Foreign Scientists by Prime Minister’s Office, Government of Japan
- National Scholarship for Study Abroad (1978 1980), Ministry of Education, Government of India
- Merit Scholarship (1965 1967) from U.P. Government
- "Prof. P.Tandon, Botany Dept.,NEHU,Shillong-793022". Nehu.ac.in. 1950-10-06. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "Profile - VEENA TANDON (VeenaTandon)". PeerJ. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "Minimizing Remote Accesses in MapReduce Clusters". Computer.org. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "The Telegraph - Calcutta : Northeast". Telegraphindia.com. 2005-09-14. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "Official Website of North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong-793022". Nehu.ac.in. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "96th Indian Science Congress Brochure" (PDF). Iscexpo.in. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "Net access, direct flights, health top NAC plan to develop N-E | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "The Assam Tribune Online". Assamtribune.com. 2012-04-24. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "NAC proposes Medical colleges for Northeast region | Kalvimalar - News". Kalvimalar.dinamalar.com. 2012-11-26. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "NAC pitches for growth of Northeast region". Deccanherald.com. 2012-11-25. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "NAC pitches for development of Northeast region | Zee News". Zeenews.india.com. 2012-11-25. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "NE development not on track: Panel". The Shillong Times. 2012-11-30. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "NAC pitches for development of Northeast region | Business Standard News". Business-standard.com. 2012-11-25. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "National Advisory Council suggest for comprehensive telecom plan exclusive to North Eastern region - timesofindia-economictimes". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2012-12-03. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "North Eastern Region Vision 2020 Brochure" (PDF). Mdoner.gov.in. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "North Eastern Region Vision 2020 Annexures Brochure" (PDF). Mdoner.gov.in. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- Bhaumik, Subir (2005-11-10). "South Asia | Battle to save Himalayan plants". BBC News. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "Nymphaea tetragona: a rare and endangered plant of Meghalaya, India (Plant Talk feature)". Plant-talk.org. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- Das Bhowmik SS, Kumaria S, Tandon P (2011). "Long-term conservation through cryopreservation of immature seed of Mantisia spathulata and Mantisia wengeri; two endangered plants of north-east India". Cryo Letters. 32 (6): 498–505. PMID 22227710.
- Sudipta S. Das Bhowmik, Suman Kumaria and Pramod Tandon (2010). "Conservation of Mantisia spathulata Schult. and Mantisia wengeri Fischer, Two Critically Endangered and Endemic Zingibers of Northeast India". Seed Technology. 32 (1): 57–62. JSTOR 23433623.
- Rathore, T.S.; Tandon, P.; Shekhawat, N.S. (1991). "In Vitro Regeneration of Pitcher Plant (Nepenthes khasiana Hook. f.) — A rare Insectivorous Plant of India". Journal of Plant Physiology. 139 (2): 246–8. doi:10.1016/S0176-1617(11)80617-6.
- Devi, Soibam Purnima; Kumaria, Suman; Rao, Satyawada Rama; Tandon, Pramod (2015). "Genetic fidelity assessment in micropropagated plants using cytogenetical analysis and heterochromatin distribution: a case study with Nepenthes khasiana Hook f". Protoplasma. 252 (5): 1305–12. doi:10.1007/s00709-015-0763-z. PMID 25616932.
- Devi, Soibam Purnima; Kumaria, Suman; Rao, Satyawada Rama; Tandon, Pramod (2013). "In vitro propagation and assessment of clonal fidelity of Nepenthes khasiana Hook. f.: a medicinal insectivorous plant of India". Acta Physiologiae Plantarum. 35 (9): 2813–20. doi:10.1007/s11738-013-1314-x.
- Dkhar, Jeremy; Kumaria, Suman; Rao, Satyawada Rama; Tandon, Pramod (2013). "New insights into character evolution, hybridization and diversity of IndianNymphaea(Nymphaeaceae): evidence from molecular and morphological data". Systematics and Biodiversity. 11 (1): 77–86. doi:10.1080/14772000.2013.773949.
- Biswal, Devendra Kumar; Debnath, Manish; Kumar, Shakti; Tandon, Pramod (2012). "Phylogenetic reconstruction in the order Nymphaeales: ITS2 secondary structure analysis and in silico testing of maturase k (matK) as a potential marker for DNA bar coding". BMC Bioinformatics. 13 Suppl 17: S26. doi:10.1186/1471-2105-13-S17-S26 (inactive 2017-01-30). PMC . PMID 23282079.
- Sharma, S. K.; Bhowmik, S. S. D.; Kumaria, S.; Tandon, P.; Rama Rao, S. (2012). "Low genetic diversity as revealed by SPAR methods possibly leads to extinction of two critically-endangered and endemic species of Mantisia". Biologia Plantarum. 56 (2): 292–300. doi:10.1007/s10535-012-0089-z.
- Dkhar, Jeremy; Kumaria, Suman; Rao, Satyawada Rama; Tandon, Pramod (2011). "Sequence characteristics and phylogenetic implications of the nrDNA internal transcribed spacers (ITS) in the genus Nymphaea with focus on some Indian representatives". Plant Systematics and Evolution. 298 (1): 93–108. doi:10.1007/s00606-011-0526-z.
- Dkhar, Jeremy; Kumaria, Suman; Tandon, Pramod (2011). "Nymphaea alba var. rubra is a hybrid of N. alba and N. odorata as evidenced by molecular analysis". Annales Botanici Fennici. 48 (4): 317–24. doi:10.5735/085.048.0403. JSTOR 23727996.
- Dkhar, Jeremy; Kumaria, Suman; Tandon, Pramod (2011). "Molecular adaptation of the chloroplast matK gene in Nymphaea tetragona, a critically rare and endangered plant of India". Plant Genetic Resources. 9 (2): 193–6. doi:10.1017/S1479262111000396.
- Kehie, Mechuselie; Kumaria, Suman; Tandon, Pramod; Ramchiary, Nirala (2014). "Biotechnological advances on in vitro capsaicinoids biosynthesis in capsicum: a review". Phytochemistry Reviews. 14 (2): 189–201. doi:10.1007/s11101-014-9344-6.
- Ramchiary, Nirala; Kehie, Mechuselie; Brahma, Vijaya; Kumaria, Suman; Tandon, Pramod (2013). "Application of genetics and genomics towards Capsicum translational research". Plant Biotechnology Reports. 8 (2): 101–23. doi:10.1007/s11816-013-0306-z.
- Kehie, Mechuselie; Kumaria, Suman; Tandon, Pramod (2014). "Manipulation of culture strategies to enhance capsaicin biosynthesis in suspension and immobilized cell cultures of Capsicum chinense Jacq. cv. Naga King Chili". Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering. 37 (6): 1055–63. doi:10.1007/s00449-013-1076-2. PMID 24141419.
- Kehie, Mechuselie; Kumaria, Suman; Tandon, Pramod (2013). "In vitro plantlet regeneration from cotyledon segments of Capsicum chinense Jacq. cv. Naga King Chili, and determination of capsaicin content in fruits of in vitro propagated plants by High Performance Liquid Chromatography". Scientia Horticulturae. 164: 1–8. doi:10.1016/j.scienta.2013.08.018.
- Kehie, Mechuselie; Kumaria, Suman; Tandon, Pramod (2012). "Osmotic stress induced-capsaicin production in suspension cultures of Capsicum chinense Jacq.cv. Naga King Chili". Acta Physiologiae Plantarum. 34 (5): 2039–44. doi:10.1007/s11738-012-0991-1.
- Kehie, Mechuselie; Kumaria, Suman; Tandon, Pramod (2012). "In vitro plantlet regeneration from nodal segments and shoot tips of Capsicum chinense Jacq. cv. Naga King Chili". 3 Biotech. 2 (1): 31–35. doi:10.1007/s13205-011-0025-5. PMC . PMID 22582155.
- "I.K International Publishing House Pvt. Ltd". Ikbooks.com. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
-  Archived 17 April 2015 on Wayback Machine.
- Advances in Plant Tissue Culture in India] Tandon Pramod, Pragati Prakashan (Meerut) ISBN 9788183988766
- "Summary Record of Discussion of the Fourteenth Meeting of Scientific Advisory Committee to the Cabinet" (PDF). Psa.gov.in. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "List of Padma awardees 2009". Thehindu.com. 2009-01-26. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
-  Archived 24 May 2012 on Wayback Machine.
- "'Green Revolution alone can't eliminate hunger' - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-08-08. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "The National Academy of Sciences, India - Awardee". Nasi.org.in. Retrieved 2015-04-30.
- "Welcome to Official Website of The Indian Botanical Society". Indianbotsoc.org. Retrieved 2015-04-30.