This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Also known as||Prasad Sawkar|
|Born||14 December 1928|
Baroda, Gujarat, India
|Genres||Classical, semi-classical, devotional, musical theatre|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, composer, music teacher|
Pandit Prasad Sawkar is an Indian vocalist, and scholar of Indian classical, semi-classical, and devotional music. He received prestigious Padma Shri award in the year 2006 for his work in music and Sangeet Natak
Early life and background
Sambaprasad Raghuvir Sawkar was born in Baroda, Gujarat in a family of musicians and actors hailing from Goa. His father, Raghuvir Sawkar, was a singer and actor who was famous for acting a ladies character in the play who was known as Rangdevta. He took his formal education in music and acting from his father. Later he came under the influence of great musicians such as Jitendra Abhisheki and Nivruttibuwa Sarnaik
Sawkar acted as child artist in the play Jinjihun Sutka (जिंजीहून सुटका) as Bal Shivaji at the start of career in Marathi theatre. Later he went to his uncle Dattaram Sawkar for school education at Mhapsa who was also a harmonium player. Sawkar continued getting training of music over there. He played a role of 'Kruttika' in the play "Sanshay Kallol". He also made a record of by playing four characters in the same play namely Kruttika, Sadhu, Singer and Vaishakh Sheth. Later he played in Plays like Soubhadra, Mruchchakatik, Vidyharan, Manapman with "Kala Mandir" organization.
Swakar played important roles with the organization "Natyniketan" in the plays like Rambha, Kulvadhu, Kone eke kali, Ek hota Mhatara, Lagnachi Bedi etc.
He also made career in Marathi Cinema which includes Pedgaoche Shahane, Gora Kumbhar
The period between 1960 and 1972 is known for the revival of Sangeet natak (play) in the industry. Sawkar played a major role in this. He was instrumental by acting in "Panditrao Jagannath" and "Suvarnatula" which get wide popularity. He started getting recognized by popular singer cum actor on the stage with this. In the year 1967, he played the role of "Sadashiv" in the play Katyar kaljat ghusli and worked closely with Purushottam Darvhekar, Jitendra Abhisheki and Vasantrao Deshpande. The song Ghei chand makarand is known as a milestone in the musical plays.
Swakar travelled to United States with his wife in 1972 and played small roles in his plays over there which also became very popular.
- Jinjihun Sutka जिंजीहून सुटका
- Sanshay Kallol संशयकल्लोळ
- Soubhadra सौभद्र
- Mruchchakatik मृच्छकटिक
- Vidyharan विद्याहरण
- Manapman मानापमान
- Rambha रंभा (१९५२)
- Kulvadhu कुलवधू
- Kone eke kali कोणे एके काळी
- Lagnachi Bedi एक होता म्हातारा
- Panditrao Jagannath पंडितराज जगन्नाथ 1960
- Suvarnatula सुवर्णतुला 1960
- Mandarmala मंदारमाला 1963
- Jai Jai Gourishankar जय जय गौरीशंकर 1966
- Katyar kaljat ghusli कट्यार काळजात घुसली 1967
- Ghanshyam nayani aala घनश्याम नयनी आला 1968
- To Rajhans Ek तो राजहंस एक 1975
- Amrut mohini अमृत मोहिनी
- Avagha rang ekachi rang अवघा रंग एकचि रंग
- Pedgaoche Shahane पेडगावचे शहाणे
- Gora Kumbhar गोरा कुंभार
- Ghei Chand Makarand घेई छंद मकरंद
- Jai Gange Bhagirathi जय गंगे भागिरथी
- Narayana Ramaramana नारायणा रमारमणा
- Sapt Sur Zankarit Bole सप्त सूर झंकारीत होते
- Utha Pandharichya Raja ऊठ पंढरीच्या राजा
- Jay Gange Bhagirathi जय गंगे भागीरथी
- Tare Nahi Ye To Raat Ko तारे नहीं ये तो रात को
- Narayana Rama Ramana नारायणा रमा रमणा
- Patit Pavan Naam Aikuni पतित पावन नाम ऐकुनी
- Priya Na Kavan Tuj प्रिय न कवण तुज
- Basant Ki Bahar Aayi बसंत की बहार आयी
- Bujhavo Deep A Sajani बुझावो दीप ए सजनी
- Bhare Manat Sundara भरे मनात सुंदरा
- Bhagya Surya Nashuni भाग्यसूर्य नाशुनि तिमिरा
- Muralidhar Shyam He मुरलीधर श्याम हे नंदलाल
- Yogi Pavan Manacha योगी पावन मनाचा
- Ratihun Sundar Madan रतिहुन सुंदर मदनमंजिरी
- Ragini Mukhachandrama रागिणी-मुखचंद्रमा
- SaptSur Jhankarit Bole सप्तसूर झंकारित बोले
- Sab Gunijan Mil Gavo सब गुनिजन मिल गावो
- Savan Ghan Garaje Bajaye सावन घन गरजे बजाये
- Sukhavito Madhumas Ha सुखवितो मधुमास हा
- Hi Kanakangi Kon Lalana ही कनकांगी कोण ललना
Awards and recognitions
- Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Smruti award 
- Jeevan Gourav Award from Maharashtra State Government 
- Panchratna Award 
- Padma Shri
- सावकार, प्रसाद
- विभास, alka vibhas | अलका. "प्रसाद सावकार | Prasad Savakar | आठवणीतली गाणी | Aathavanitli Gani | Marathi songs lyrics online". आठवणीतली गाणी | Aathavanitli Gani. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "प्रसाद सावकार यांना मंगेशकर पुरस्कार". Maharashtra Times. 15 April 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "प्रसाद सावकार, सुधा करमरकर यांना जीवनगौरव पुरस्कार प्रदान". Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "प्रसाद सावकार, सुधा करमरकरांना जीवनगौरव पुरस्कार". News18 Lokmat. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "पं. प्रसाद सावकार यांचा 'पंचरत्न' पुरस्काराने गौरव". 9 July 2015. Retrieved 7 March 2019.