28 August 1982
Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Spouse(s)||Sneha (m. 2012)|
Prasanna Venkatesan, often credited mononymously as Prasanna, is an Indian actor in the Tamil film industry.
He made his debut in Five Star in 2002, which was produced by Mani Ratnam. Apart from lead roles, he has also played supporting roles. His film Achchamundu! Achchamundu!, in which he starred alongside Sneha and American actor John Shea, was screened at many International film festivals, such as Shanghai and Cairo. He was the host of the short-lived game show Honeymoon Jodigal on Sun TV in 2010.
Early life and background
Prasanna was born to an upper-middle-class family in Tiruchirappalli. His father was an employee in BHEL and his mother is a housewife. He completed his schooling from BHEL Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Tiruchirappalli. He has a younger brother. Prasanna was good at mimicry and acting, when he was in school and college. He had stated that he always wanted to become an actor. He was an EEE student in Saranathan College of Engineering, Tiruchirapalli, when he responded to an open audition for actors in Susi Ganesan's Five Star (2002), although his parents were unhappy with his decision.
Five Star, produced by Mani Ratnam's Madras Talkies, featured Prasanna alongside four other newcomers, most notably Kanika; it was well received by critics and performed modestly at the box office. He then made his debut in Telugu in Avunu Valliddaru Ista Paddaru! (2002), which was a run away success. His next two films, Ragasiyamai (2003) and Kadhal Dot Com (2004), did not fare well commercially. After Five Star, his noteworthy performance came in Azhagiya Theeye (2004). He cites that the time between Five Star and Azhagiya Theeye was "a painful one", since the roles offered to him were "not the ones" he wanted to play. The film, involving an ensemble cast, was produced by Prakash Raj's Duet Movies and directed by Radha Mohan. Critics commented that he had improved in emoting, labelling his "voice modulation in the humorous scenes" as "impressive". Prakash Raj, impressed by his performance in the film, offered him the lead character in his next production, Kanda Naal Mudhal, too. The triangular love story, directed by the newcomer V. Priya, costarring Laila and Karthik Kumar, was a commercial success. The comedy flick Cheena Thaana 001 co-starring Sheela and Vadivelu was his only 2007 release.
In 2008, Prasanna was seen in three films. He starred in Siddique's comedy thriller Sadhu Miranda. His role of a modern-day villain was a huge hit in Mysskin's film Anjathey. His negative role was critically acclaimed and fetched him a nomination at the 56th Filmfare Awards South in the Best Supporting Actor category. He played the lead in Arun Vaidyanathan's Achchamundu! Achchamundu! (2009) opposite Sneha that dealt with the subject of paedophiles. It received rave reviews, and was very well received internationally, but failed at the domestic box office. Manjal Veyil, yet another flick was a big flop. During the period, he also worked as a voice actor, speaking dubbing for Aryan Rajesh in Cheran's Pokkisham on the insistence of the director. Then, alongside Sibiraj as antagonist, he starred in Shakthi S.rajan's Naanayam as a protagonist produced by S.P.B.Charan's Capital Film Works.
In recent times Prasanna has been losing out more offers. Earlier, he had signed up for a film titled Naikkutty produced by V. Z. Durai but he stepped out due to some unknown reasons. Again in Bale Pandiya directed by Siddharth Chandrasekhar, Prasanna was replaced by Vishnu Vishal. He was seen in a cameo appearance in Venkat Prabhu's comedy film Goa, followed by a supporting role as a local gangster in Baana Kaathadi. A review from Times of India wrote that "with his eyes-to-die-for and underplayed violence, Prasanna easily steals the show". In 2011, he performed a lead role alongside director-actor Cheran in the thriller film Muran. His character, a "spoiled brat" and son of a millionaire, had again negative shades. He was also approached for Lucky Jokers which he could not take due to his busy schedule with Muran. He has been approached to play a vital role in Dileep's production Akku Akbar.
|2004||Kadhal Dot Com||Vinod||Tamil|
|2005||Kanda Naal Mudhal||Krishna||Tamil|
|2007||Seena Thaana 001||Tamilarasu||Tamil|
|2008||Anjathe||Dhaya||Tamil||ITFA Best Villain Award
Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor – Tamil
|2009||Achchamundu! Achchamundu!||Senthil Kumar||Tamil||Edison Award for Best Character (Male)|
|2010||Goa||Sakthi Saravanan||Tamil||Guest appearance|
|2010||Baana Kaathadi||'Maanja' Ravi||Tamil|
|2013||Chennaiyil Oru Naal||Dr. Robin||Tamil|
|2013||Kalyana Samayal Saadham||Raghu Viswanathan||Tamil|
|2017||Thiruttu Payale 2||Tamil||Filming|
- Achchamundu Achchamundu screened at International film festivals Jointscene. Retrieved on 29 March 2011.
- "Meet Prasanna of Tamil films". Rediff.com. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Prasanna Interview Indiaglitz. Retrieved on 29 March 2011.
- "Movie Review:Azhagiya Theeye". Sify.com. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Azhagiya Theeyae ...". The Hindu. 6 August 2004. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Achchamundu Achchamundu movie review". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Achchamundu Achchamundu". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Rediff interview Rediff. Retrieved on 29 March 2011.
- Ridden with badluck Jointscene. Retrieved on 29 March 2011.
- "I felt Muran was like my own production". Rediff.com. 28 September 2011. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Goa Tamil Movie Review". IndiaGlitz.com. 29 January 2010. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Goa – Movie Reviews". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Baana Kaathadi". The Times of India. 7 August 2010. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "How Prasanna became Arjun in 'Muran' – Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Prasanna in Malayalam?". TimesofIndia. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- I will not marry an actress Jointscene. Retrieved on 29 March 2011. Archived 18 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Sneha to wed actor Prasanna!". Behindwoods. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- "Prasanna out public about his relationship with Sneha!". Sify. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- "Sneha to marry Prasanna!". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 9 November 2011.