This article is about the district. For its eponymous headquarters, see Pratapgarh
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)
प्रतापगढ़ ज़िला kunda
|District of Uttar Pradesh
Location of Pratapgarh district in Uttar Pradesh
||Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh
||Raniganj, Kunda, Lalganj,Patti, Sadar
| • Lok Sabha constituencies
| • Assembly seats
||Raniganj, Kunda, Vishwanathganj, Sadar, Rampur
| • Total
||3,717 km2 (1,435 sq mi)
| • Total
| • Density
||850/km2 (2,200/sq mi)
| • Literacy
||73.1 per cent
The Pratapgarh district (Hindi: प्रतापगढ़ ज़िला, Urdu: پرتاپ گڑھ ضلع) is one of the districts of Uttar Pradesh state of India, and Pratapgarh town is the district headquarters. The Pratapgarh district is a part of Allahabad division and lies between 25° 34' and 26° 11' latitudes while between 81° 19' and 82° 27' longitudes.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Pratapgarh one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 34 districts in Uttar Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
According to the 2011 census Pratapgarh district, Uttar Pradesh has a population of 3,173,752, roughly equal to the nation of Mongolia or the US state of Iowa. This gives it a ranking of 109th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 854 inhabitants per square kilometre (2,210/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 16.2%. Pratapgarh has a sex ratio of 994 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 73.1%.
- Raja Bajrang Bahadur Singh, founder vice chancellor of Pant Nagar University and later the first Governor of Himanchal Pradesh state of India
- Jagadguru Kripalu Maharaj (1922 - 2013), Hindu spiritual leader and saint from Mangarh, Pratapgarh
- Dinesh Singh (1925-1995), Deputy Minister in the ministry of external affairs and served as a member of parliament
- '''Pt. Parmeshwar Datta Pandey''', Great Indian Freedom Fighter Manar, Pratapgarh, UP
- Babu Gulab Singh (died 1857), Indian Freedom Fighter, participated and sacrificed in the war of Indian Rebellion of 1857
- Harivansh Rai Bachchan (1907-2003) poet and professor of Allahabad University, best known for his early work Madhushala; father of Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan
- Raghuraj Pratap Singh (born 1969) known as Raja Bhaiya, politician, independent member of legislative assembly and MLA of Pratapgarh district Uttar Pradesh
- Anupam Shyam Ojha (born 1957), film and television actor, who usually plays villainous role on international films set in India
- Babulal Gaur (born 1930) BJP Leader,and Ex. Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh is also hails from Pratapgarh.
- Shweta Tiwari (born 1980), Bollywood and Bhojpuri film actress and winner of the fourth season of the reality show Bigg Boss
- Rajkumari Ratna Singh (born 1959), politician from Indian National Congress Party, member of parliament.
- Pramod Tiwari (born 1956), senior leader of Congress Party and EX MLA from (Rampur Khas), and current MP of Rajya Sabh Pratapgarh,Uttar Pradesh.